• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We need to pressure clients more for remote working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need to pressure clients more for remote working

I turned down a £850/day role today because the client wanted two days every other week in Leeds.

If we want remote work, it's important to stay strong. We can send a message into the market as long as you don't reward their tulip working practices with your labour.

Originally posted by DrewG View Post
    If we want remote work,
    And that's the nub - not everyone does
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

I only take contracts which are hybrid with very low on site

simple

Milan.

Comment

I take what work interests me. I don't mind a bit of on site work if it's easily commutable.

You need to realise that you don't have an automatic right to 100% remote working. If you don't want to go on site then that's yourCo's commercial decision to make. The client will have a commercial decision to require none/some/all remote working.

You are very welcome to restrict your commercial offering by deciding that all work must be done remotely. Not all of your competition has the same attitude.

Comment

not sure I see remote working as restricting commercial offering

if "life" limits your onsite availability to with 1 hour of your home, then that is a restriction

as a remote worker, the world is my oyster, I can work for any company and geography is irrelevant

Milan.

Comment

I turned down a £850/day role today because the client wanted two days every other week in Leeds.

If we want remote work, it's important to stay strong. We can send a message into the market as long as you don't reward their tulip working practices with your labour.
            I'm sure your post will convince people who've been benched for the last 6 months and have eaten through their war chests

Now onto the next one:

"I turned down a £2000/day role today because the client wanted me to work two days a week.

If we want £3000/day, it's important to stay strong. We can send a message into the market as long as you don't reward their tulip working practices with your labour."

Sky is the limit if we all unite!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I take what work interests me. I don't mind a bit of on site work if it's easily commutable.

You need to realise that you don't have an automatic right to 100% remote working. If you don't want to go on site then that's yourCo's commercial decision to make. The client will have a commercial decision to require none/some/all remote working.

You are very welcome to restrict your commercial offering by deciding that all work must be done remotely. Not all of your competition has the same attitude.
              ""This is a Hybrid role (3 days per week in the office) and can be based at any of our four UK locations - Bath, Manchester, Wolverhampton, or Leeds. ""

This genius client just want you in an office, any office at all. The point of being in the office is to collaborate with team and stakeholders; how do you do that from any office? Pointless.

I don't think I have a right to work from home, working conditions should be flexible to accommodate needs though. I appreciate some of my competition don't mind commuting but I'm still going to fight the good fight until I can't anymore.

Let's be honest though, there are plenty of people that will only take hybris roles because they're desperate and desperation can smell pretty bad in interviews.

Comment

""This is a Hybrid role (3 days per week in the office) and can be based at any of our four UK locations - Bath, Manchester, Wolverhampton, or Leeds. ""

This genius client just want you in an office, any office at all. The point of being in the office is to collaborate with team and stakeholders; how do you do that from any office? Pointless.

I don't think I have a right to work from home, working conditions should be flexible to accommodate needs though. I appreciate some of my competition don't mind commuting but I'm still going to fight the good fight until I can't anymore.

Let's be honest though, there are plenty of people that will only take hybris roles because they're desperate and desperation can smell pretty bad in interviews.

ROTFLMFAO

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

I'm sure your post will convince people who've been benched for the last 6 months and have eaten through their war chests

Now onto the next one:

"I turned down a £2000/day role today because the client wanted me to work two days a week.

If we want £3000/day, it's important to stay strong. We can send a message into the market as long as you don't reward their tulip working practices with your labour."

Sky is the limit if we all unite!!!
                  If you're benched for 6 months then you're heading towards the bottom of maslows hierarchy and I can forgive you for crossing the picket line.

If you really are benched for that long, you probably have a skillset and/or sales problem.

Comment

If you're benched for 6 months then you're heading towards the bottom of maslows hierarchy and I can forgive you for crossing the picket line.

If you really are benched for that long, you probably have a skillset and/or sales problem.

you said what I were thinking

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X