• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bank Holiday Deckchair vol. DCCXIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bank Holiday Deckchair vol. DCCXIII

You don't even have to be ready to quickly switch to Excel if someone approaches while you're reading this lot
    • The Leg - From 1982, Oliver Sacks on suffering a serious leg injury and the long process of recovering therefrom: ”The circumstances were slightly absurd: I was on a mountain in Northern Norway, and I had a contretemps with a bull. It was a very isolated area, and no one knew where I was. I was alone, with a grossly injured and useless left leg. I thought I would die, but to my surprise I was saved. A reindeer-hunter found me… The next morning I was scheduled for emergency surgery.”
    • Quaking Giants Might Solve the Mysteries of Stellar Magnetism - ”In a few billion years, the sun will exhaust its hydrogen fuel and swell into a red giant… While red giants are bad news for planets, they’re good news for astrophysicists. Their hearts hold the keys to understanding a range of stellar bodies, from fledgling protostars to zombie white dwarfs, because deep within them lies an invisible force that can shape a star’s destiny: the magnetic field.”
    • The bank robbery that created Stockholm Syndrome, 50 years on - ”The hostage crisis that gave rise to the idea of a strong bond between captive and captor took place 50 years ago this week. But does the condition really exist?” Probably not.
    • Everything You Never Knew About Competitive Eating - Meeting the world’s greatest hot dog eaters: ”’You know how many times of the day I answer questions about poop?’ an absolutely jacked professional eater asks me. ‘Every single interview.’ I look down at my notes. tulip, why didn’t I think of that?”
    • Beadnet dress - Fashion at the court of the Pharaohs: ”Depictions of women in Egyptian art occasionally feature garments decorated with an overall lozenge pattern. This design is believed to represent beadwork… This beadnet dress is the earliest surviving example of such a garment. It has been painstakingly reassembled from approximately seven thousand beads found in an undisturbed burial of a female contemporary of King Khufu.”
    • When The Elephants Came To Mourn The Elephant Whisperer - ”For 12 hours, two herds of wild South African Elephants slowly made their way through the Zululand bush until they reached the house of late author Lawrence Anthony, the conservationist who saved their lives… For two days the herds loitered at Anthony’s rural compound on the vast Thula Thula game reserve in the South African KwaZulu — to say good-bye to the man they loved. But how did they know he had died? ” He lived a remarkable life
    • The Batavia’s Story of Mutiny and Murder Gets a New Chapter - An archaeologist has found the remains of a victim of a notorious shipwreck and mutiny: ”During the captain’s absence, Jeronimus Cornelisz, the ship’s junior merchant, seized his moment… He and a contingent of men mutinied, killing many of the ship’s passengers and crew in an attempt to control the island. It was a bloodbath. Of the Batavia’s 341 original voyagers, only 122 survived the ordeal.”
    • Manuals Showcase - ”A showcase of unusual or interesting manuals.” Curated by archivist Jason Scott, this includes such treasures as The care and training of your pet rock, Apollo 8 Saturn V Flight Manual, and The Playboy Club Bunny Manual
    • The Tail End - Tim Urban presents visualisations of a human life: ”The days chart blows my mind as much as the weeks chart. Each of those dots is only a single Tuesday or Friday or Sunday, but even a lucky person who lives to 90 will have no problem fitting every day in their life on one sheet of paper.”
    • The Peculiar Manicule - ”Enter the Day-Glo world of The Peculiar Manicule and explore an awe-inspiring archive of 1960s and 70s graphic design. Witness mind-blowing displays of ink on paper by designers and illustrators, both known and unknown.” Mystique Astrology was a creation of Mattel from 1969.

Happy invoicing!

Working...
X