• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zoom orders workers back to the office.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom orders workers back to the office.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66432173

Presumably to pick up their P45s...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Presumably to pick up their P45s...
    I heard a similar observation yesterday from a founder I know who is quite active in the startup community.

Ordering staff back to the office is a straightforward way to lose a proportion of remote based staff to reduce headcount and conserve cash, now finances are getting tighter for startups in particular.

Comment

Zoom getting people back in the office - the irony :-)

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I heard a similar observation yesterday from a founder I know who is quite active in the startup community.

Ordering staff back to the office is a straightforward way to lose a proportion of remote based staff to reduce headcount and conserve cash, now finances are getting tighter for startups in particular.
        Actually yes - its a way of cutting staff without the redundancies.

Comment

If Zoom are including developers in that back to the office order, most of the talent will switch companies and stay remote. Zoom will then be left with lots of seat warmers that can be micromanaged and watched over like small children. Management will be very happy until the share price hits $1, because they can't innovate with seat warmers and don't have a monopoly on video conferencing.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Actually yes - its a way of cutting staff without the redundancies.
            Certain large American companies are renowned for it. Even before Covid they used to change older workers office so they left (you can probably guess who).
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
              If Zoom are including developers in that back to the office order, most of the talent will switch companies and stay remote. Zoom will then be left with lots of seat warmers that can be micromanaged and watched over like small children. Management will be very happy until the share price hits $1, because they can't innovate with seat warmers and don't have a monopoly on video conferencing.
              Totally this. Very happy working from home and my employer is primarily home based. Oddly agents offering Hybrid as 4 days a week in the Wharf etc. were offended when I declined.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Certain large American companies are renowned for it. Even before Covid they used to change older workers office so they left (you can probably guess who).
                Companies do this in countries like France as well due to employment laws. Though there they change the persons office every few months as the law/trade unions allow.

A few employees have committed suicide over it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Companies do this in countries like France as well due to employment laws. Though there they change the persons office every few months as the law/trade unions allow.

A few employees have committed suicide over it.
                  companies hey? total bastards! I still laugh over expecting employee loyalty.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

companies hey? total bastards! I still laugh over expecting employee loyalty.

The cases I was thinking about has it own wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_S.A._suicides

Shows there aren't new management techniques under the sun.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X