• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is buy to let still worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

So absolutely no punishment?
    Seems luckily he didn't kill or maim someone.

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
    Company house his name, whilst I can't read accounts to save my life it does look like he did a bounce back loan grfit too, 48k.
    You mean the "Entrepreneur"?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Seems luckily he didn't kill or maim someone.

You mean the "Entrepreneur"?
      https://find-and-update.company-info...filing-history

That's the one. opened late 2019. nothing but a 48k appearance in 2020 that disappears 2021 and dissolved 2021. The dates dont match up.

Looks like he took out 48k BBL straight to himself. Failed to file, notice of strike off, strike off discontinued because of no accounts (issue because of the BBL?), he then makes retrospective accounts, repaying? or writing off the BBL? application to strike off approved.

Comment

One would also expect few landlords are paying "the right amount of tax".

I would make the deposit scheme mandatory for any landlord then join that to HMRC see how many are paying any income tax.

Same for tenants and discover how few have a valid visa if needed.

Though the fact Companies House & the treasury were shafted so hard by conmen over Covid loans they should be pregnant suggests they would be incapable.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Though the fact Companies House & the treasury were shafted so hard by conmen over Covid loans they should be pregnant suggests they would be incapable.
          Companies House records are mess. There are a few people who have highlighted to them that the directors of some companies still aren't legit.

Also you are making the mistake in thinking managers across government departments want to work together for the good of the populace....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Companies House records are mess. There are a few people who have highlighted to them that the directors of some companies still aren't legit.

Also you are making the mistake in thinking managers across government departments want to work together for the good of the populace....
            Back in my day HMRC were notorious for not playing nice with anyone else. No matter what the idea was, if they didn't invent it they aren't doing it.

Comment

If you are a cash buyer why not just stick the money in the stock market, as per my knowledge the yield would be in the same ball park, but a lot less hassle.

BTL was only good because:

1) a lot of BTLers cut corners using residential mortgages etc. and exploiting the fact that the law was not in tenants favour

2) interest rates were heading down, so a crucial part of the gains would involve using borrowed money

3) asset prices went up due to low interest rates

4) a lot of Btlers did not pay the right taxes and bizarrely this was overlooked by the government

Overall I would say the last 20 years were a unique situation. If it wasn't for the fact you were allowed to get levered up and not have a lot of regulation it would not have been good. If it was just investing your money in any ftse100 business Vs BTL without leverage. FTSE 100 would win (especially as there is no hassle)

Comment

No hassle? Mothercare? Carillion? Northern Rock?
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  Never invest in single company stocks... well, I say "never", but this is more of a 'do as I say; not as I do' sort of situation.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

This is how you make money out of buy to let - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66520812

Just don't get caught.
                    I'd love to know how that's going to get enforced

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                      A diversified portfolio, such as a global tracker?
                      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                      X