• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Secretarys Expense Claim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Secretarys Expense Claim

Can you claim a speeding ticket on expenses? Suella thinks you can.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...could-29782674

Suella Braverman asked Parliament authorities whether she could claim a speeding ticket on expenses, a fellow Tory MP has claimed.

William Wragg, the former chair of the Public Administration Committee, made the extraordinary claim in a series of tweets in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Alongside a picture of the Winston Churchill statue and Houses of Parliament, at almost 2am, he wrote: “This evening, having kept quiet for a while, I was struck by the lamentable hopelessness of the Home Secretary, remembering particularly her first week or so as a Member of Parliament.”

He went on: “My clearest recollection of our Home Secretary’s legal acumen came from day one as an MP. We had a presentation from [expenses watchdog] IPSA.

“Her question to IPSA concerned whether a speeding ticket incurred during the course of parliamentary duties could be claimed on expenses.

“Rather embarrassed, the representatives from IPSA said no.”

Mr Wragg added: “Thank goodness our Nation has been blessed with such a fine Attorney General and Home Secretary. Carry On!”

Ms Braverman was Attorney General before being named Home Secretary.The Public Administration Committee wrote: “The reappointment of the home secretary sets a dangerous precedent. The leaking of restricted material is worthy of significant sanction under the new graduated sanctions regime introduced in May, including resignation and a significant period out of office.

“A subsequent change in prime minister should not wipe the slate clean and allow for a rehabilitation and a return to ministerial office in a shorter timeframe.”

Mr Wragg later added: “For context, I’ve become increasingly concerned and depressed by the toxicity of the debate around immigration and asylum, which, I’m sorry to say, has been worsened by the Home Secretary.

“Previous tweets were a symptom of my patience snapping. Although true, being cheeky and off-hand doesn’t aid good public discourse, which is something we should all strive to maintain. I hope everyone has a nice weekend, remembering we tend to have more in common.”

Mr Wragg’s former committee issued a stinging rebuke of Ms Braverman being re-appointed by Rishi Sunak - despite having been forced to quit days earlier after sending an official document from her personal email to another MP.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Bit of a storm in a tea cup, speeding ticket scandal!

I would love for a proper investigation into gifts and donations given to MPs and who they employ, for example family members.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Bit of a storm in a tea cup, speeding ticket scandal!
      Tory against Tory.

William Wragg seems left wing compared to Ms Braverman.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Tory against Tory.

William Wragg seems left wing compared to Ms Braverman.
        Probably pro immigration, I believe Boris was quite a lefty for a righty or was he so righty for a right that he was pro immigration to support business keeping cost and wages low. I don't know my left from my right anymore.
        Last edited by woohoo; 24 April 2023, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I don't know my left from my right anymore.
          Neither do I.

All I know is Ms Braverman tries to be the rightest of the Tory party.

Comment

Neither do I.

Might be better to talk in terms of her actions and what her aims are. Left/Right/Centerist etc just classifications so you can safetly ignore the views of that category. I don't listen to looney lefties or far right type of thing.

Comment

Neither do I.

must be fighting Moggy

Seems the idea that people who commit a crime to travel from the safety of France to the UK in boats will not be considered for Asylum which seems reasonable to most people. What would you do?

When people start screaming racism then exhibit racist views we know the left are eating themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...office-adviser

“If we can find room for a white child but not a black child, who are coming here in similar circumstances, it is racist. It is really painful if we believe that people can seek refuge if they come from Europe but not elsewhere.

“If we can provide safe and legal routes for Ukrainians, we should do it for other people as well,” she said.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X