• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jar full of Air

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jar full of Air

It's a special jar it is a Waitrose jar and it cost more than a full one.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/17/waitr...-one-18459501/

Shoppers have been left bemused after they discovered an empty jam jar costs more than a full one in Waitrose.

A jar of the store’s on brand raspberry jam will set you back £1.20 – but an empty jar of the exact same size in the same shop costs £2.50.

Even a jar of upmarket Bonne Mamam strawberry preserve only costs £2.65 – and for the extra 15p you’ll get the jelly and the jar.

The items were on sale at the Waitrose store in Worcester this week.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

The empty jar is bigger!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      The empty jar is bigger!
      Remember who the OP is, she isn't one for facts.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        The empty jar is bigger!
        It's the same size (or can hold the same amount) as the one on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It's the same size (or can hold the same amount) as the one on the right.
          Oh is 1lb the same as 454g? Well there's a thing.

Why the heck is Waitrose doing jars in imperial sizes?

Comment

My local Waitrose is mostly full of older people. Older people grew up with imperial measurements.

(The local Aldi is mostly full of younger people.

The other supermarkets cater for everyone. )

Comment

When I've looked into buying jars for jam-making it's quite common to find they cost as much or more as a jar full of jam. Economies of scale or just plain old market forces I guess. Buying jars and reusing is often a PITA as labels in the UK tend to be stuck on with glue that requires a solvent. If labels would just soak off in warm water it would be a boon to jam-makers and home-brewers
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                When I've looked into buying jars for jam-making it's quite common to find they cost as much or more as a jar full of jam. Economies of scale or just plain old market forces I guess. Buying jars and reusing is often a PITA as labels in the UK tend to be stuck on with glue that requires a solvent. If labels would just soak off in warm water it would be a boon to jam-makers and home-brewers
                WD-40 FTW!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                X