• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting at 57?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post

How big a gap do you take between gigs?

I have built up a sizeable warchest over a few years of contracting and I am now planning to only work 6 months of a year. Just wondering how clients would view the constant gaps in the future. The first few contracts I was always worried if I would be able to find the next one, but I have done quite a few now, so that worry has finally gone (The warchest helps as well.)
    Clients aren't bothered but agents are as you are a risk. They'll just pick the next person who's come straight off the same gig and land on the starting day. Coolcat is the king of all contractors with outstanding skills so he can do it apparently.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Clients aren't bothered but agents are as you are a risk. They'll just pick the next person who's come straight off the same gig and land on the starting day. Coolcat is the king of all contractors with outstanding skills so he can do it apparently.
      no I am just normal, gaps vary wildly, depending on my mood, what else I could be doing, what I want the money for, and so on.

its correct to say clients dont care less, but often agents do, as agents have little brains and they like things as simple as possible...

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

no I am just normal, gaps vary wildly, depending on my mood, what else I could be doing, what I want the money for, and so on.

its correct to say clients dont care less, but often agents do, as agents have little brains and they like things as simple as possible...
        You now have me wondering whether there is a way to embellish my CV to appease the agents in a manner not to upset clients.

Comment

You now have me wondering whether there is a way to embellish my CV to appease the agents in a manner not to upset clients.
          You mean lie and then fall flat on your face when they ask for references?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You mean lie and then fall flat on your face when they ask for references?
            No, as that wouldn't fit the requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

its correct to say clients dont care less, but often agents do
              , as agents have little brains and they like things as simple as possible...
              I have taken several breaks of 6 months or more, most were planned, one wasn't. I've only ever been asked once in a client interview about it and gave the honest answer that I was taking some time out to help look after elderly parents who were having some serious medical issues and doing up my house. It wasn't a big deal to the client.

Some agents are more bothered about it because they are hoping you might get a few extensions after your first 3 or 6 months. If you're going to leave too soon, that might be at risk and therefore they could get less revenue.

Comment

Don't bother.

Just make sure you know people who do roles/ jobs of good standing who can vouch you weren't over seas doing certain training camps during your time off.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X