• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Pizzas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Pizzas

Tomato-free pizza on UK menus as chefs choke on the price of fruit and veg

Italian restaurants are forced to replace classic dishes with ‘white’ versions as cost of their staple ingredient soars

Get ready for tomato-less pasta sauce and white pizza. Italian restaurants across Britain are having to ration tomatoes, increase prices and in some cases remove the pomodoro from their menus entirely as costs soar.

The price of tomatoes has increased as much as fourfold in the past year,from £5 a case to £20 a case, according to the Federazione Italian Cuochi UK (FIC UK), a chefs’ association.

The price of canned tomatoes has doubled, it said, from £15 a case to £30. The cost of that insalata staple the iceberg lettuce has also soared, from around £7 a box to £22.

Tomatoes are among the species worst affected by the UK’s fruit and vegetable shortage, which has left supermarket shelves empty. The government has blamed bad weather in southern Europe and north Africa. High electricity prices have also hit supplies of produce grown in greenhouses in Britain and the Netherlands.”

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...-fruit-and-veg

I quite like a white pizza

Comment

Let them eat Turnip

https://thefeedfeed.com/vince_a/turnip-top-pizza-1
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Racist!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Quite right too. mister Pomodoro spoils far too many Italian dishes, Bianco pizza is a lot better and doesn't suffer from the sickly sweet soggness imparted by the tomato goo used by most pizza joints. In fact there is no dish that a tomato is incapable of spoiling.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Quite right too. mister Pomodoro spoils far too many Italian dishes, Bianco pizza is a lot better and doesn't suffer from the sickly sweet soggness imparted by the tomato goo used by most pizza joints. In fact there is no dish that a tomato is incapable of spoiling.
            Tomato soup?
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Tomato soup?
              Tomato Ketchup?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Tomato soup?
                Sorry I'll qualify, non baby food dish.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Tomato Ketchup?
                  Ditto!

Comment

Working...
                  X