• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! Interview Clash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Interview Clash

Hi

Sorry if I should already know how to deal with this situation but;

I've applied for couple of contract roles on Fri and I got response from both agencies. One has already scheduled an interview with the client on Tue and I expect the other one will definitely call me on Mon to schedule an interview with their clients. Both roles are equally good and paying same rate, length and very good end clients.

How do I deal with situation? I would like to be in good books of both agencies.

1. If I accept the interview with agent2 on Mon and if my Tue interview goes fine with agent1, I'll be end up wasting agent2's time and potentially missing further opportunities from this agency.

2. If I don't accept the interview (god knows what excuse I should give), and my agent1 interview doesn't go well, I'm at dead road.

Please be gentle, I’m still learning

Thank You

Always give the agents time slots you are available and keep them updated.

I just mail them as soon as you can and say sorry 2-4 on Tuesday is booked please avoid.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Always give the agents time slots you are available and keep them updated.

I just mail them as soon as you can and say sorry 2-4 on Tuesday is booked please avoid.
      Yes definitely but I think I didn't make myself clear on my post. The worry wasn't about slot clash on Tue. The concern is about whether I should agree with an interview with agent2 on Mon. Let's say if I say I could do it on Wed and if my interview goes well on Tue, it puts me in a stick situation with the agreed interview with agent2 on Wed.

I was in similar situation a while back and an agency wasn't happy (rightly so) about cancelling a scheduled interview and now I can't go to them for future roles. I just don't want to repeat the same mistake (if it was a mistake) and loosing another potential agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete30 View Post

Let's say if I say I could do it on Wed and if my interview goes well on Tue, it puts me in a stick situation with the agreed interview with agent2 on Wed.
        It's one thing having a good interview. I'd say, one needs to keep options open until there's an offer with acceptable T&Cs on the table.

I was in similar situation a while back and an agency wasn't happy (rightly so) about cancelling a scheduled interview and now I can't go to them for future roles.
        Agents operate in a competitive market. Suppliers pull out all the time where a competing client is quicker off the mark with a solid offer. That's agents risk, and I can't see why that would preclude one from future roles via a particular agent. In any case, aren't most roles available through multiple agents?

Comment

Yes definitely but I think I didn't make myself clear on my post. The worry wasn't about slot clash on Tue. The concern is about whether I should agree with an interview with agent2 on Mon. Let's say if I say I could do it on Wed and if my interview goes well on Tue, it puts me in a stick situation with the agreed interview with agent2 on Wed.

I was in similar situation a while back and an agency wasn't happy (rightly so) about cancelling a scheduled interview and now I can't go to them for future roles. I just don't want to repeat the same mistake (if it was a mistake) and loosing another potential agency.
          Time before last I had 2 offers an 4 interviews that week - it happens. If there is an offer on the table 24 hours to think about it and for the customer to send the contract delays it nicely.

are they first or final interviews?

Many agents will sell their grandmothers to make a profit! Sensible ones understand

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

In any case, aren't most roles available through multiple agents?
            With my skill-set, it's very narrow market and with year end, there are very few roles on the market at the moment.

Comment

are they first or final interviews?
              Both are contract roles with only one interview round.

Many agents will sell their grandmothers to make a profit! Sensible ones understand
              Normally yes but I had been ghosted by few agencies in the last couple of weeks after receiving my CV. Therefore I'm trying to tread this one very carefully.

Comment

Both are contract roles with only one interview round.

Normally yes but I had been ghosted by few agencies in the last couple of weeks after receiving my CV. Therefore I'm trying to tread this one very carefully.

Send a substitute to the interview
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

With my skill-set, it's very narrow market and with year end, there are very few roles on the market at the moment.
                  try vistex it seems popular this week. 10 years ago I did some and its a well paid out of ir35 job if you fancy Switzerland!

Comment

Accept both interviews.

Best case scenario is you find out more about the roles, get offered both and can pick the best.

Don't worry about the client or the agent.

Comment

Working...
                    X