• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: White male lawyers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: White male lawyers

"White male lawyers should ‘think twice before talking about sport at work to avoid excluding women’

Sir Geoffrey Vos, a senior judge, also says talk about elite schools is likely to make less privileged colleagues feel ‘uncomfortable’

White, male lawyers should think twice before talking about sport at work to avoid excluding women, Britain’s second most senior judge has said.

Sir Geoffrey Vos said that conversations at work dominated by sports and opera can exclude women and ethnic minorities.

Speaking at a conference, the Master of the Rolls said that these subjects could prevent women and ethnic minority colleagues from taking part in “incidental conversation”.

Older, white male lawyers “like the sound of their own voices” and “fail to see themselves as others see them”, Sir Geoffrey said.

“If white male lawyers are regularly talking about subjects that do not interest women or ethnic minority lawyers and those from less privileged backgrounds, they will inevitably feel excluded,” he told the Legal Services Board conference.

“It is difficult to generalise about what topics might make particular groups feel excluded. But women are often less interested than men in sport.

“Talk about elite schools and universities is likely to make those that did not have the opportunity to attend them uncomfortable.”"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rt-work-avoid/

Rule number 1 - don't talk about sports

But I know women, ethnic minorities and both who like sports.

And I know women, ethnic minorities and both who went to elite universities.

And I know women, ethnic minorities and both who are lawyers.

And I know women, ethnic minorities and both who are lawyers who find some white male lawyers insufferable.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I attended a black history month presentation this week, the presenter was supposedly an expert in an area of my interest.

All she did was moan how she felt being black had affected her career. She is a CEO of a quite influential quango, from what she talked about she didn't get there by merit but by positive action.

It was an hour of "it's because I am black" and not of "hey we can do this for ethnic minorities because Culture A has this issue etc" which was her job.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        I attended a black history month presentation this week, the presenter was supposedly an expert in an area of my interest.

All she did was moan how she felt being black had affected her career. She is a CEO of a quite influential quango, from what she talked about she didn't get there by merit but by positive action.

It was an hour of "it's because I am black" and not of "hey we can do this for ethnic minorities because Culture A has this issue etc" which was her job.
        Still time to email her or whoever put on the presentation polite feedback. Something along the lines of you have been researching the topic of the presentation over x years but you are very disappointed that that on x minutes of the talk/ a minority of the time was spent about the topic. Instead the majority of the time was spent taking about the presenter's autobiography which while interesting due to being sprung on you unexpectedly and not the subject of the presentation was disappointing.

Get a women, preferably a non-white one, to edit before you send it.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Still time to email her or whoever put on the presentation polite feedback. Something along the lines of you have been researching the topic of the presentation over x years but you are very disappointed that that on x minutes of the talk/ a minority of the time was spent about the topic. Instead the majority of the time was spent taking about the presenter's autobiography which while interesting due to being sprung on you unexpectedly and not the subject of the presentation was disappointing.

Get a women, preferably a non-white one, to edit before you send it.
          oh yes that is going to work...

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

oh yes that is going to work...
            You forget "every little helps".

Comment

Working...
            X