• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheer up Warty they will be automating hairdressing soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheer up Warty they will be automating hairdressing soon

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-industry.html

Would you get a manicure from a ROBOT? Company offering world's first nail painting bot inks Target deal to offer cheap 10-minute manicures to disrupt the $6.5BN nail industry
    • Clockwork's manicure robot has been deployed to six Target locations in the US, including in Texas, California and Minnesota
    • The machine uses artificial intelligence and 3-D technology to provide the service for people who pay $10 and can leave in ten minutes
    • Target is one of several retailers expressing interest in the robots, which could disrupt the $6.5 billion nail industry if they're embraced by consumers
    • 'We’re pushing tens of thousands of partnership requests at this point,' Clockwork CEO Renuka Apte told Yahoo Finance
    then you won't be driving a hairdressers car!

Rise of automation continues!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I wish they would, then I wouldn't have to shave my head everyday.

As for the car, seems hairdressers are making more money then I thought if they can afford a brand new TT RS Roadster. HMRC needs to start looking at their financial records a bit closer.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      I wish they would, then I wouldn't have to shave my head everyday.

As for the car, seems hairdressers are making more money then I thought if they can afford a brand new TT RS Roadster. HMRC needs to start looking at their financial records a bit closer.
      The Turkish Barbers in Maidenhead is always full with about 10 customers a time paying £10 ish per 10 min cut, pretty much all cash.

Its staffed by guys from Eastern Europe, mostly very friendly.

Plenty of trades make more than we do and much of it the Tax man never sees.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

The Turkish Barbers in Maidenhead is always full with about 10 customers a time paying £10 ish per 10 min cut, pretty much all cash.

Regarding cash businesses, HMRC will calculate what the average takings plus tips should be plus an uplift of say 20%. It is then up to the business to argue back they they had less income. Stop thinking like the DM
        Last edited by Paddy; 8 September 2022, 08:47. Reason: I am almost blind
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Regarding cash businesses, HMRC will calculate what the average takings plus tips should be plus an uplift of say 20%. It is then up to the business to argue back they they had less income. Stop thinking like the DM
          A. if everyone is doing it the average will be artificially low.
          B. If volume of trade is not clear then the calculation will be under.
          C. Watch carefully how many transactions are rung up on the manual till or supply a receipt.
          D. Its rife in many trades (anyone doing private jobs in houses cleaning/gardening/building asks for cash in my experience).

I used to work in hospitality its rife. It is also in the auto trade.

So obviously HMRC aren't really doing a good job - shocking. Stop thinking like a muppet.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...x-taxavoidance

Do you think nail bars, car washes etc pay full tax and provide employee benefits?

You think the authorities have the balls to challenge organised crime fronts?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...modern-slavery

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/post...k-beauty-trade

These places wouldn't exist if HMRC and Immigration were vaguely doing their job.

Comment

Do they all drive 2 seater sports cars?

Comment

D. Its rife in many trades (anyone doing private jobs in houses cleaning/gardening/building asks for cash in my experience).
              My experience is the total opposite.

My gardener issues an invoice. My cleaner issues an invoice. The electrician I used issued an invoice. The arborealist I used issued an invoice. My auto-mechanic issues an invoice. My car valet chap issues an invoice (although the hand car wash is very much cash in hand). My late wife's private carer, and her mobile hairdresser, issued invoices.

I've had no one in the last 10 years who hasn't come to my home to do work who hasn't issued an invoice.

Every shop I go to, my purchases go through the tills.

Maybe the problem is with you mate, you need to be more rigorous in the trades you deal with.

I used to work in hospitality its rife.
              You use this argument of you working in KFC or whatever it was, a lot. Care to tell the rest of the class exactly when this was, so we can understand if it's a recent anecdote?

Do you think nail bars, car washes etc pay full tax and provide employee benefits?
              These places wouldn't exist if HMRC and Immigration were vaguely doing their job.
              No, I don't think these very specific examples do pay proper tax etc and they are most definitely linked to organised crime. But these are a very minority of business, and very low value in cash terms which is probably why HMRC (wrongly, as there is a people aspect) ignore them.

Comment

Do they all drive 2 seater sports cars?
                Given most are uber macho types, I'm sure they wouldn't be seen dead in a middle class girls car.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

My experience is the total opposite.

My gardener issues an invoice. My cleaner issues an invoice. The electrician I used issued an invoice. The arborealist I used issued an invoice. My auto-mechanic issues an invoice. My car valet chap issues an invoice (although the hand car wash is very much cash in hand). My late wife's private carer, and her mobile hairdresser, issued invoices.

I've had no one in the last 10 years who hasn't come to my home to do work who hasn't issued an invoice.

Every shop I go to, my purchases go through the tills.

Maybe the problem is with you mate, you need to be more rigorous in the trades you deal with.

You use this argument of you working in KFC or whatever it was, a lot. Care to tell the rest of the class exactly when this was, so we can understand if it's a recent anecdote?

No, I don't think these very specific examples do pay proper tax etc and they are most definitely linked to organised crime. But these are a very minority of business, and very low value in cash terms which is probably why HMRC (wrongly, as there is a people aspect) ignore them.

I didn't say I paid cash, however many ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Given most are uber macho types, I'm sure they wouldn't be seen dead in a middle class girls car.
                    See ... that's far more realistic than a hairdresser owning this car. But even then I'd question how many middle class girls own a TTRS, as the owners club I'm in it's pretty much all 90/10 men/women who own TTs in general, and the RS as far as I can see is all men.

Comment

Working...
                    X