• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCLVI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCLVI

Late again today. I really need to automate the process of putting this lot together each week
    • This Old Dog - ”For each year that I move around the sun, my sister ages seven times as much… I watched the movement of his lips as he relayed a message from my family in Singapore: Shandi has cancer. Hemangiosarcoma. She has one or two months more.” Keshia Naurana Badalge on uprooting her life for the sake of her childhood pet
    • How Can Infinitely Many Primes Be Infinitely Far Apart? - ”Mathematicians have been studying the distribution of prime numbers for thousands of years. Recent results about a curious kind of prime offer a new take on how spread out they can be.”
    • Imaginary numbers are real - ”These odd values were long dismissed as bookkeeping. Now physicists are proving that they describe the hidden shape of nature.” I never understood imaginary numbers at school and I'm still not sure I do, despite having implemented code for things like the Mandelbrot set and quaternions that depend on them
    • Marvel Has a VFX Problem - ”As Phase 4 has faltered, the MCU’s effects-heavy visuals—and the ways in which they’re produced—have drawn increased scrutiny.” Wonder if DC is doing any better? Mind you, I can never remember which is which
    • Brilliant Maps - ”Making Sense Of The World, One Map At A Time.” HT to NLUK for this excellent collection of interesting maps
    • The Greatest Fictional Deaths of All Time - The index page for an ongoing series:”The most tearjerking, hilarious, satisfying, and shocking death scenes in 2,500 years of culture.”
    • How Florence Nightingale Changed Data Visualization Forever - Not just a lamp bearer: ”The celebrated nurse improved public health through her groundbreaking use of graphic storytelling.”
    • Inside The IRA: SPIN’s 1994 Feature - ”In the late summer of 1993, I had dinner with Jack Healey, the Executive Director of Amnesty International at the time and a great friend of mine. I told him I wanted to get a reporter inside the IRA — the Irish Republican Army terrorist group that had been violently and often murderously opposing British rule in Northern Ireland for decades… Thus started one of the greatest odysseys in the magazine’s history, ending up with one of our greatest ever stories.” A remarkable look at life inside the IRA not long before the ceasefire.
    • The Things - ”The names don’t matter. They are placeholders, nothing more; all biomass is interchangeable. What matters is that these are all that is left of me. The world has burned everything else.” This story by Peter Watts retells the story of John Carpenters film The Thing from the perspective of… The Thing; or is it The Things?
    • Featherbase - The online database of feathers you didn't know you needed: ”Featherbase is a working group of German feather scientists and other collectors worldwide who came together with their personal collections and created the biggest and most comprehensive online feather library in the world.” These are from a Common Kingfisher.

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    • Marvel Has a VFX Problem - ”As Phase 4 has faltered, the MCU’s effects-heavy visuals—and the ways in which they’re produced—have drawn increased scrutiny.” Wonder if DC is doing any better? Mind you, I can never remember which is which
    I thought that was going to be about the sheer volume of VFX vs real live action, which has become a real bore in the MCU. It's a shame Marvel, like all other dominant businesses, use their clout to treat people worse rather than than better.

Comment

Working...
    X