• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear minimum wage pigeons roost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear minimum wage pigeons roost

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...interview.html

No experience? No CV? You're hired! Hotels are so desperate to fill posts they're giving jobs to people who simply turn up to the interview
    • Thousands left the hospitality industry during the Covid-19 pandemic
    • Many chose not to return, finding better-paid employment elsewhere
    • Accor, which operates brands Mercure and Fairmont, needs 35,000 workers
    • Its new recruits are given six hours of training and learn on the job
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Hence why the hospitality industry is complete sh** since Brexit. Even the Local Aldi lost all its Polish workers and we now have lazy slow miserable Brits there.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Hence why the hospitality industry is complete sh** since Brexit. Even the Local Aldi lost all its Polish workers and we now have lazy slow miserable Brits there.
      I know we have a regularly slapped the Spanish, French on land & Sea but they have never been part of the British Isles.

Accor, which operates brands such as Mercure, Ibis and Fairmont in over 110 countries, needs 35,000 workers globally, he said.

'We tried in Lyon and Bordeaux ten days ago and this weekend we're having people interviewed with no resume, no prior job experience and they are hired within 24 hours,' Bazin said.

In the short term, Accor is filling roles in France with young people and migrants while also limiting services.

'It's students, people coming from North Africa,' Bazin said. 'And basically closing restaurants for lunch or (opening them) only five days a week. There's no other solution.'

The new recruits are given six hours of training and learn on the job, he said.

Staff shortages are particularly pressing in Spain and Portugal, where tourism accounted for 13 per cent and 15 per cent of economic output respectively before the pandemic.

Hoteliers there are offering higher pay, free accommodation and perks such as bonuses and health insurance.

'Many employees have decided to move to other sectors, so we are starting an industry from scratch and we have to fight for talent,' Gabriel Escarrer, CEO of Spanish hotelier Melia, told reporters in Madrid.

Its a global issue no one wants to work for crap money!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Its a global issue no one wants to do crap work for crap money!
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

FTFY
          Actually partially agree but when I was a kid I did hospitality work to pay for college as did my kids for UNI. Many workers are students but the core are frequently those people that were well below average at school and just need a job.

Its only crap work if you are too good for it.

Comment

Actually partially agree but when I was a kid I did hospitality work to pay for college as did my kids for UNI. Many workers are students but the core are frequently those people that were well below average at school and just need a job.

Its only crap work if you are too good for it.
            They have a choice of which crap work they will do.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Its only crap work if you think you are too good for it.
              FTFY - Gratis
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Have you ever considered the benefits of independent thought over regurgitating the Daily Mails interpretation?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Have you ever considered the benefits of independent thought over regurgitating the Daily Mails interpretation?
                  What does your brilliant brain think about multiple hotel groups publicly admitting they have become less fussy because they cannot find staff post pandemic?

Comment

What does your brilliant brain think about multiple hotel groups publicly admitting they have become less fussy because they cannot find staff post pandemic?
                    My brilliant brain voted remain so I am not surprised the hospitality sector which has traditionally relied on cheap migrant labour is struggling.

Comment

Working...
                    X