• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help for newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but I don't understand why he has to give notice to Giant - not just to the assignment
    Because if he accepts the contract 'as is' he's an employee of Giant, not the agency or the client.

Oh Dear...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
      Not a Monty Python fan, are you?

class
      whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by mum
        My 20 year old son was made redundant 2 weeks ago from his first and only job.
        He was offered a contract for 4-6 weeks thro a job agency who insist he signs up with Giant. I have read his contract and am confused................most of it is standard b******t but I don't understand why he has to give notice to Giant - not just to the assignment.

Please can somebody explain it in easy language to me. He started work on Monday so he needs to either sign or reject the contract soooooon.

If it makes a difference he does not want to be a contractor long term - but this was too good an opportunity to miss.

Thanks

Mum

It is normal for the agency to have a contract with the client, and the contractor with the agency (I assume it is the same with umbrellas). That is how they protect their margin. Common business practice and nothing to be concerned about. If he wants to quit he gives notice to Giant under the terms of his contract with them (that's what you need to read). If it is only 4-6 weeks it is not a problem.

Damn - is this a wind-up?

Comment

Personally a boy of this age should be lying in bed at home, smoking crack during the week and pissed over the weekend.

What kind of parent makes a 20 year old boy go to work. Shame on you.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
            Personally a boy of this age should be lying in bed at home, smoking crack during the week and pissed over the weekend.

What kind of parent makes a 20 year old boy go to work. Shame on you.
            Hell, someones's got to pay the rent, and why should 20 year olds have all the fun?

Comment

I hope my mum doesn't start posting on here, asking if I should be using .NET at my age. Oh tulip, here she comes now....laters.

Comment

Damn - is this a wind-up?[/QUOTE]

No to the wind up.

I used to work (briefly) for a company that did similar stuff and is now being thoroughly investigated (I hope). It made sure my son asked me to read his contract. No names necessary!

I don't follow why he has to give notice to Giant - when his contract ends he will probably go permanent somewhere (I hope). Does the notice period mean he just pays his monthly fee for a month when he isn't working?

Comment

Dunno. Ring up Giant and ask them. They won't bite.

Comment

Originally posted by mum
                    My 20 year old son was made redundant 2 weeks ago from his first and only job.
                    He was offered a contract for 4-6 weeks thro a job agency who insist he signs up with Giant. I have read his contract and am confused................most of it is standard b******t but I don't understand why he has to give notice to Giant - not just to the assignment.

Please can somebody explain it in easy language to me. He started work on Monday so he needs to either sign or reject the contract soooooon.

If it makes a difference he does not want to be a contractor long term - but this was too good an opportunity to miss.

Thanks

Mum

20, mmmmm....... send him to me

Comment

The notice period will be for early termination, otherwise the contract is for the weeks specified i.e. he can't give his notice one day before the end of the contract and get 4 weeks pay !
                      This could just be a 'taster' and if he makes himself damn useful I wouldn't be surprised if it gets extended. Time and again I am assured a contract will ONLY last a certain time and every time it gets extended sometimes for years !
                      Don't sweat the details, tell him to get in there and be johnny-keen, nothing too much trouble and you never know.
                      HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X