• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going bats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going bats

Anyone had to deal with sharing a home with bats?

On Wednesday night my daughter woke up to find a bat in her room. She caught it in a box and released it outside. Last night, our cat chased a bat up from our cellar. It's currently back in my cellar office, hiding behind the curtain. When it gets dark, I'll remove the grill from the lightwell, open the window and see if it'll fly out.

I'm concerned though they may be roosting inside the house. There's a lot of rebuilding going around us, so their habitat has been disturbed. Bats and our cat are not compatible.

The cat may have to go.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

In the UK you haven't been allowed to touch them including move them for decades.

Saying that I know someone who caught one in his loft and let it go outside. He had no bats after that.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Similar laws over here. But if the bats stay, the cat will get them. Since cats are legally wild animals not my problem. I'd prefer the bats to live. I've always liked bats.

I've contacted the official in charge of bat protection in the government for advice. Hopefully, it's trapped in our house, not making a home.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
      X