• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Digital Camera

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n5gooner
    Do all these D-SLR's have special rechargable batteries, are there any that take AA batteries ? I'm thinking of charging issues when away, as some of the places I'll be staying will not have electricity / running water ect.

How many pictures can I expect to get from a single charge ??
    Oi oi - yes you can get battery grips for most decent SLRs nowadays that take AAs. Also - great advice about the small & many cards in case it gets nicked. Take a few (About 10) 1GB cards with you. I'd shoot raw btw, but it depends how much storage you have.
    On 1 charge, if you use the prism, not the screen, and keep flash to a minimum, expect it to last about 300-400 shots, less in cold weather. That's about a day and a half of snapping.

Comment

I'm looking at the Nikkon D80, its slightly smaller than the Cannon 400d

Any comments ?? Yes multiple cards is a good idea, need to decide how much I want to spend on a lense the sigma 28-300 is a good price at about £160ish
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

The D80 and the 400d are about the same, however a few more people tilt towards the D80 than the 400d. Then it is more expensie of the two.

Before you buy the camera have a look how much the lenses will be as Nikon will not take lenses with a canon / sigma mount etc. The general rule of thumb is that you buy the lenses first and then the body to fit on to them. After all good glass is better than a good body.

I would get the 400d and spend the £150 you save on the body on some top quality glass and a few lessons on how to use it.

Comment

Have a look at 7dayshop for batteries / cards etc. They sell non-canon/nikon batteries usually at very good prices. I have a few for the canon, not quite as good but can get a full days shooting out of one and they are a fraction of the price of canon's own.

I know I said earlier about the 28-300 as a do all lens, but just be aware about the crop factor mentioned by someone else - not ideal for wide sweeping landscapes. You need to have some idea what you want to take.

When I am out specifically for a photo trip I have a wide(ish) angle lens 18-55 as well as a telephoto 70-300.

For general holiday trips I am thinking about getting one of these, just to put the cat amongst the pidgeons. Sony DSC-R1 (bargain at £399 at warehouseexpress)

Comment

I'm looking at the Nikkon D80, its slightly smaller than the Cannon 400d

Any comments ?? Yes multiple cards is a good idea, need to decide how much I want to spend on a lense the sigma 28-300 is a good price at about £160ish
            Mate - it's up to you, but I wasn't happy with the Sigma - noticeably not as sharp or fast as the Nikkor. The 400D is cheaper but less robust. Best get yourself down to a camera shop and handle them - take a look for yourself at how they feel, how much they weigh etc.

Comment

does this sigma not fit the Nikkon D80 ?

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s26776/...s.aspx?&comp=y
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

does this sigma not fit the Nikkon D80 ?

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s26776/...s.aspx?&comp=y

If its a nikon mount then yes. I should have been more clear. If you choose a mount you will have to stay with it or it gets pricey to change. I.e. if you choose the canon EF-S mount then changing to a Nikon AF mount means that as well as the camera you have to change all the lenses as well.

Also, don't buy from Jessops. They are pricey. If there is a Jacobs near you they are the same just cheaper. www.jacobsdigital.co.uk

Comment

Sigma make cameras as well as lenses. A sigma lens designed for a sigma camera will not fit a canon/nikon.

sigma/tokina/tamron make lenses for all the main cameras.

Comment

Yep. They've made it backwards compatible with the 35mm lenses, including the AF ones.
                    "The D80 also offers unprecedented compatibility with Nikon's extensive selection of AF Nikkor lenses as well as new DX Nikkor lenses, which are designed exclusively for use with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras. Nikkor lenses, famous for optical superiority, add to the D80's ability to deliver outstanding images."

Edit: Yep, I meant Nikon mounts.
                    Last edited by realityhack; 16 February 2007, 11:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                      If its a nikon mount then yes. I should have been more clear. If you choose a mount you will have to stay with it or it gets pricey to change. I.e. if you choose the canon EF-S mount then changing to a Nikon AF mount means that as well as the camera you have to change all the lenses as well.

Also, don't buy from Jessops. They are pricey. If there is a Jacobs near you they are the same just cheaper. www.jacobsdigital.co.uk

gotya....so basicly as I don't have any of my old SLR lenses any more, any camera I buy I'll have to live with that mount. So if the Nikkon is a better camera and I understand I have to stick with this type of mount there should not be a problem.
                      SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                      X