• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Digital Camera

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt there is a lot of difference between nikon / canon / pentax. I'd go for the best value you could get, to be honest I have lost track on all the newer models out there.

(the new pentax K100d has had some excellent reviews)

If you are taking lots of holiday shots then fine jpg will be more than good enough for A3 prints. (more important to learn about exposure and making sure your using a fast enough shutter speed - especially for telephoto). Post processing hundreds of RAW photos will be a pain in the ar*e and you'd probably not end up with anything that much better than the camera does in-house.

from Fredmiranda.com

Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the availability of the new 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 MACRO lens.Ultra compact dimensions, length: 3.3", diameter: 2.9", Filter Size: 62mm and a 10.7:1 zoom ratio make this lens the ultimate traveling companion. This versatile, all-purpose zoom can capture a wide ranging series of subjects using its wide angle, ultra-telephoto and close-up capabilities. It incorporates 2pcs Special Low Dispersion SLD glass elements and 4pcs Aspherical Lenses, to produce a high level of optical performance. Aspherical lenses provide excellent correction for all types of aberration while making a very compact construction possible. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 50cm at all focal lengths. Equipped with a macro mechanism for close-up photography at 300mm telephoto, with a reproduction ratio of 1:3. It is equipped with a "zoom lock" to prevent the zoom setting from being changed inadvertently. It incorporates an internal focusing system, which eliminates front lens rotation, allowing the use of polarizing filters and Petal type hoods. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Comment

mmm I am looking for somethings I can take up montains, and in rivers etc....
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

From the canon range the 10d/20d/30d are a lot more rugged than the 300/350/400d range. (but also weigh a lot more !)

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
          From the canon range the 10d/20d/30d are a lot more rugged than the 300/350/400d range. (but also weigh a lot more !)
          have you any recomened buying places on the net to get all the kit in one go?
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Couple of places spring to mind.......

warehouseexpress (have used these with no issues)
            parkcameras (bought 10d from here - secondhand)
            digitaldepot
            jessops (not sure if they still do their price match)
            cameraworld

Comment

Cameras2u - owned and run by jessops. Just a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                mmm yes I would be looking to get prints for some shots on A4/A3 paper. so is it Nikkon or Canon ?? and would you recomend shotting in jpeg or raw ?? physically how big is a 28-300mm lense?
                I've used an EOS SLRs for 10 years and a sigma 28-200 amongst others. Disappointed by the lens quality and would recommend you by proprietary lenses with either a fixed focal length or a high quality tele.
                I haven't taken the digital step for an SLR yet but when I do it'll be the Nikon D80. The top spec ones are here, including the critically acclaimed D2Xs. I have a couple of mates who are quite serious about their digital photography, and buying £000s of gear. I've taken a look at their latest EOS Ds and the Nikons - and the Nikon is simply a better engineered bit of kit, it may be heavier (slightly) but it's a magnesium alloy and it won't fall to bits if you kick it around. I wouldn't like to take the EOS hiking or through rough weather.

The pics are crystal clear with the Nikkor lenses, which have an optical precision as close to a carl zeiss medium format as you'll get - apart from the Leicas of course. Don't compromise on the lenses - you'll regret buying a sigma if you want decent quality. The D80 is superb value and sees off the competition - this coming from a lifelong Canon user.

Comment

Its the pictures that count not the camera.

Mexico/Peru - Don't get something too flashy or it will get nicked or you will get mugged for it. Take something you can use that is inconspicuous.

And a lot of small 'cards' to use in case it does get nicked and all the photos are on it.

Comment

Do all these D-SLR's have special rechargable batteries, are there any that take AA batteries ? I'm thinking of charging issues when away, as some of the places I'll be staying will not have electricity / running water ect.

How many pictures can I expect to get from a single charge ??
                    SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                      Do all these D-SLR's have special rechargable batteries, are there any that take AA batteries ? I'm thinking of charging issues when away, as some of the places I'll be staying will not have electricity / running water ect.

How many pictures can I expect to get from a single charge ??
                      The 400d takes a special battery. They claim 450 shots on one battery and it seems to work to that amount.

You can however get a battery grip for it £60 from ebay that takes two of its spceial batteries but also has a cassette for 6xAA batteries in replace of those 2.

Model number for the grip is BG-E3
                      http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...E3-Review.aspx

Comment

Working...
                      X