• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crooked HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crooked HMRC

How much is this going to cost us with legal costs?

Could bloody settle could they?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hinese-imports
    The British government faces paying a hefty charge to the EU after the European court of justice ruled it had been negligent in allowing criminal gangs to flood European markets with cheap Chinese-made clothes and shoes.

Publishing its final ruling on Tuesday, the court concluded that the UK as member state had “failed to fulfil its obligations” under EU law to combat fraud and collect the correct amount of customs duties and VAT on imported Chinese goods. The failures by HMRC date from 2011 to 2017.

Under the withdrawal agreement signed by Boris Johnson, the UK remains subject to ECJ jurisdiction for any breaches of EU law during its time as a member state. The European Commission has been seeking since 2018 to force the UK to pay more than €2bn (£1.7bn) in compensation to the EU budget.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Pity they don't put more pressure on China to stop the fake/dodgy goods being made there. The scale is so high it's impossible to believe the Chinese government is not just turning a blind eye to it.

Turkey is another problem country in this respect.

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-says-ch...s/6446528.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-falling-lira
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Well Turkey definitely don't want to join the EU.

Accession countries have a tendency to clear up their counterfeit goods market before they join.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Pity they don't put more pressure on China to stop the fake/dodgy goods being made there. The scale is so high it's impossible to believe the Chinese government is not just turning a blind eye to it.

Turkey is another problem
        Counterfeit turkeys! Will those Chinese stop at nothing!!!

Comment

Counterfeit turkeys! Will those Chinese stop at nothing!!!
          And fake China from Turkey!
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
          X