• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving to the Alps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boredsenseless
    Easter school holidays what did you expect???
    I know wasn't my idea!, I wanted to go earlier but she couldn't get the time off.

Comment

I've driven to the Alps several times - I always leave on Friday afternoon, go through the tunnel and stop in a hotel around Dijon, have a decent meal and bottle of wine to start my holiday off early. I always use the autoroutes so I can average 100+mph with no worries. If there's been a big dump of snow then they'll be plenty of opportunity to fit your snow chains (essential) on the side of the road as you climb into the mountains - everyone else will be doing it as well. I've driven all sorts of cars on that route from a modified 4x4 Cosworth to the wife's Ford Focus. Never had any bother. I've not done it because it's saved me any money - it hasn't, I just like driving in France and extending my holiday by a day or so without losing any invoicing time. On the way home, I always do the drive in one hit - plenty of overtaking practice.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
        Do many people drive to the Alps instead of plane, train, coach?

Fights seem to be in short supply for certain weekends and expensive! Plus you could have a 3 hour transfer to the resort.

I'm thinking of just getting a set of snow chains and going for it.
        From South-East England its about a 15 hour drive, go for it.

France might be a better bet, coz there are no traffic jams, If you go a hundred + then you could do it in 10. Normally calculate 100km per hour.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 February 2007, 14:14.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X