• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's afraid of the [S]Xi[/S] [S]Nu[/S] Omicron variant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I read somewhere that in ancient times the emphasis was on the "micron" and "mega" rather than the "O"

If that is true, then Mary Beard fluffed it by publicly claiming the emphasis should be on the "O"
    I don't think MB is into "fluffing", but she can write some real diatribe. Her book on The Roman Triumph being a stellar example of taking up hundreds of pages and a readers time to say nothing at all except recounting ancient descriptions.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      All pandemics mutate into less dangerous variants because it's not advantageous to kill your host ...
      Not so I'm afraid, of viruses generally anyway.

If they have a fairly long incubation and infectious period, there's no advantage in mutating to be less deadly.

For example, nobody in recorded history has ever survived a rabies infection without medical help (an induced coma).
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

News just in. All flights to Malta in January cancelled. Entry has been closed to visitors all that month. Dooooooooom
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Not so I'm afraid, of viruses generally anyway.

If they have a fairly long incubation and infectious period, there's no advantage in mutating to be less deadly.

For example, nobody in recorded history has ever survived a rabies infection without medical help (an induced coma).
          Yes to a point, Rabies is niche, Covid is 'Global'.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            News just in. All flights to Malta in January cancelled. Entry has been closed to visitors all that month. Dooooooooom
            You are evil.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              That's ok. HWMBO and I will just kip at yours.

Comment

Working...
              X