• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So this afternoon...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this afternoon...

I returned to the UK in Gatwick and I get taken to one side while trying to get through passport control. Apparently my passport was reported stolen or lost, first I heard about it. I’m put in the waiting area with the other illegal immigrants. I wait and I wait surrounded by strange languages and treated like I’m someone trying to enter the country illegally despite my board north of the boarder accent. I thought dam devolution I was only away for 48 hours…

It turned out there was an error on the computer under my passport number dating back nearly 10 years ago and was never adhered to until now. I told them I’ve lost count how many times I’ve been through passport control, why now?! Oh we’ve started scanning them… so what the £&£$£$% have they been doing all this time?!!

The part that really wound me up was the manner a UK citizen is treated entering their own country, definitely guilty until proven innocent on this land.

My emigration dial has just been turned up another notch…
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

But the point is they didn't know you were a UK citizen. They had reason to believe you'd nicked a passport belonging to one. They were only doing their job of trying to protect the rest of us from the likes of you.

Comment

You know who's fault that is dont you - Accenture! (It is them who's done the passport system isn't it?)

Send all your resentment to them (in a letter bomb stylee if you see fit)

Do you look like a foreigner?
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
        But the point is they didn't know you were a UK citizen. They had reason to believe you'd nicked a passport belonging to one. They were only doing their job of trying to protect the rest of us from the likes of you.
        I get the point I just thought the accent would have bestowed a little confidence that I was not someone prepared to drive lorry full what knows into Whitehall.

I was about to tell her look hen yer looking for a slap, now either get the polis in or lee me go.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
          You know who's fault that is dont you - Accenture! (It is them who's done the passport system isn't it?)

Send all your resentment to them (in a letter bomb stylee if you see fit)

Do you look like a foreigner?
          with each passing day.

Comment

Londoners have difficulty understanding any accent other than their own. If they hear a Scots accent they automatically assume you're from Norn Irn and sh*t themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Toad
              Londoners have difficulty understanding any accent other than their own. If they hear a Scots accent they automatically assume you're from Norn Irn and sh*t themselves.
              oh com on a wee bit of plastic explosive never hurt anybody

Comment

Go on p1ss off back up North Jock.

I think we need to make sure that wall of Hadrians doesnt have any more gaps in it.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
                  It was Siemens wot dun it when I were there!!... actually that wos bollux - we did the immigration system shambles... the passport thingy actually worked after many false starts & a long delay.
                  It eventually ended costing 3 times the price of the old passport - so it could have been any of the consulting tulipeboxes

fecking memory is going
                  Last edited by Troll; 11 February 2007, 20:43.
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                    Go on p1ss off back up North Jock.

I think we need to make sure that wall of Hadrians doesnt have any more gaps in it.
                    Yawn – use the brawn before the brain why not mf

Comment

Working...
                    X