• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So this afternoon..."

Collapse

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy
    I have never met a polite Immigration Officer - the worst ones are at Birmingham airport.
    They are the same the world over.

You should have seen the grief some Cubans got at Miami one day. He went right into a paddy, each one of them were carted off for seperate interviews.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard
    But the point is they didn't know you were a UK citizen. They had reason to believe you'd nicked a passport belonging to one. They were only doing their job of trying to protect the rest of us from the likes of you.
    I have never met a polite Immigration Officer - the worst ones are at Birmingham airport.

I mean it wouldn't kill the buggers to smile and say hello would it? I've found that being friendly and polite in the face of their rudeness makes them very uncomfortable so that's what I do now.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The fact Scotland is full of immigrants and England is full of Scots I'm not really that surprised.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole
    As far as they know you could a been putting on the accent, Scoot. Just as I can do an Indian accent, learnt from hours on the phone listening to feckers called Robert, Steven and Simon sorting out my bank problems.

In fact, you could be putting one on in front of us!

sp you pay back that 50p i leant yah yet?

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    As far as they know you could a been putting on the accent, Scoot. Just as I can do an Indian accent, learnt from hours on the phone listening to feckers called Robert, Steven and Simon sorting out my bank problems.

In fact, you could be putting one on in front of us!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Toad
    Depends whether he's from Pollockshields or not.
    wow - I'm impressed

Leave a comment:

• Toad
    replied
    Depends whether he's from Pollockshields or not.

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Is this a case of unlawful detention?

Why are suspected true positives and potential false positive treated the same? Would someone called Mr Scot McScooter more likely be someone who someone who says ‘see you Jimmy’ or ‘chill mon”?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Go on p1ss off back up North Jock.

I think we need to make sure that wall of Hadrians doesnt have any more gaps in it.
    Yawn – use the brawn before the brain why not mf

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    You know who's fault that is dont you - Accenture! (It is them who's done the passport system isn't it?)
    It was Siemens wot dun it when I were there!!... actually that wos bollux - we did the immigration system shambles... the passport thingy actually worked after many false starts & a long delay.
    It eventually ended costing 3 times the price of the old passport - so it could have been any of the consulting tulipeboxes

fecking memory is going
    Last edited by Troll; 11 February 2007, 20:43.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Go on p1ss off back up North Jock.

I think we need to make sure that wall of Hadrians doesnt have any more gaps in it.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Toad
    Londoners have difficulty understanding any accent other than their own. If they hear a Scots accent they automatically assume you're from Norn Irn and sh*t themselves.
    oh com on a wee bit of plastic explosive never hurt anybody

Leave a comment:

• Toad
    replied
    Londoners have difficulty understanding any accent other than their own. If they hear a Scots accent they automatically assume you're from Norn Irn and sh*t themselves.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    You know who's fault that is dont you - Accenture! (It is them who's done the passport system isn't it?)

Send all your resentment to them (in a letter bomb stylee if you see fit)

Do you look like a foreigner?
    with each passing day.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard
    But the point is they didn't know you were a UK citizen. They had reason to believe you'd nicked a passport belonging to one. They were only doing their job of trying to protect the rest of us from the likes of you.
    I get the point I just thought the accent would have bestowed a little confidence that I was not someone prepared to drive lorry full what knows into Whitehall.

I was about to tell her look hen yer looking for a slap, now either get the polis in or lee me go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X