• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

North Devon in January

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Devon in January

I've got some Italian friends coming over to the UK in January and want to use North Devon as a base for three days visiting Dartmoor, North Cornwall etc.

Yes I know it'll be cold and lots of places will be closed but we're all grown ups and I want to take them walking and to traditional pubs with log fires etc.

I'm picking up the tab for everyone this weekend so it's not big ticket.

I was thinking of staying Barnstaple way with a day trip to Boscastle and Tintagel being one day. Any other ideas?

More importantly does anyone have any suggestions where to stay? A really good pub with rooms would be great, especially if it's within walking distance to other possible dining places. I don't really want to have to drive anywhere to eat.

Thanks in advance.

...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Sounds like most of the places you want to visit are more in South Devon (Dartmoor) & Cornwall. It's quite a trek (although scenic) down the coast road to get from Barnstaple to somewhere on the West Cornish coast like Tintagel or Newquay, and even further to reach Dartmoor.

Given the places you mentioned, I'd be more inclined to find a hotel in or near somewhere like Launceston or Okehampton, which are much closer to Dartmoor than is Barnstaple. The other advantages of these places is that you can toe it down the M5, then round Exeter, and continue on the A30 dual carriageway practically all the way to the hotel's front door!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

What the Hooter said.

If you want to stay on the north coast, consider going a bit further - maybe Bude (although that is more difficult to get to than Barnstaple/Bideford.)
      I'd look around Launceston, or if you went a bit further stay at the Jamaica Inn
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
      X