• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cat Fight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat Fight

Moral of the story - chip the cat that mostly lives at your house

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/30/cat-t...-him-15323883/

After losing her beloved cat Bobby in May last year, Patricia Donegan had started to give up hope.

The ginger tabby escaped out of the window and was soon found by a member of the public and taken to the Warrington Animal Welfare (WAW) rescue centre.

Patricia was straight on the phone to them when she saw a Facebook post by the charity, who decided to name the cat George.

She has proof Bobby is hers, but the shelter refused to give him back because he wasn’t chipped or neutered, branding her ‘irresponsible’.

While it may be advisable to do this, it is not a legal requirement for cats, and Patricia soon became embroiled in a legal battle with the centre, as previously reported by Metro.co.uk.

The following summer, St Helens County Court instructed both parties to try and reach a resolution between themselves, and Patricia, from Widnes, Cheshire, says she refused WAW’s offer of £100 to settle.

It all seemed a bit farcical, as Bobby had already been given away, but after her lawyers saw the new owner’s details on an underacted court document, they decided to get in touch directly.

Eventually she agreed to return the cat to WAW on August 11 this year, giving Patricia a glimmer of hope.

But that relief turned into devastation, as when the new owner stopped her car outside to check if the place was open, Bobby ran off, taking Patricia right back to square one.

The mum-of-five told Metro.co.uk: ‘She claimed a ginger cat and a white cat jumped up at her, and Bobby managed to get out of the closed cat carrier and ran off scared.

‘Then a week later she came up with a different version, saying she was outside waiting, a cat jumped up into the car and Bobby ran off again.’

Documents from Patricia’s lawyers say that the centre was closed at the time, and that the new owner had no idea where the two cats came from.

They say she tried searching the streets for Bobby but was unable to find five-year-old Bobby.

Patricia, 55, said: ‘There’s just no sign of him everywhere, we’ve put posters up everywhere.’

‘Warrington Animal Welfare won’t speak to me. They cut me off on the 15th of May last year after being on the phone to a different person every day from the 10th.

‘After that they just wouldn’t answer my calls, I was blocked, it was dreadful. Every time I was on the phone to them I was polite, I didn’t get aggressive or anything else, I just wanted my cat back.’

When asked about the £100 offer she was made, Patricia said: ‘It was never about the money, I just wanted him back.

‘And it doesn’t look like I’m going to get him based on the way it’s going at the moment.

‘Bobby is not just a cat, he is my family. He was my rock while I went through my cancer treatment and now he has been taken from me. I’m heartbroken, it seems the courts can’t help me now he’s lost again.’

A WAW spokesperson told Metro.co.uk: ‘Responding to multiple reports and social media posts of an injured cat roaming the streets, we moved swiftly to ensure that the animal was taken to a place of safety, where it could receive necessary medical attention and care.

‘The welfare of this injured cat, who was neither chipped or neutered, was our absolute priority and we successfully raised £1,000 to cover the cost of urgent medical treatment after which, the cat was placed in a home to recover and recuperate.

‘Unfortunately, the charity and the new owners have been subjected to a social media hate campaign, instigated by the previous owners, the stress of which led to the new owners returning the cat to our Warrington HQ. It was whilst the cat was being returned that he escaped.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I don't know why people don't chip their pets.

At the same time as chipping, vets should take a DNA sample so that dog dirt left on the streets can be traced back to the filthy owner who doesn't pick it up, or who hangs a bag of tulip in a tree expecting some magical fairy to dispose of it.

Comment

On my walk yesterday saw a number of quite funny signs including "...there is no dog poo collection fairy"
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        On my walk yesterday saw a number of quite funny signs including "...there is no dog poo collection fairy"
        That's got me thinking, we could have a annual dog tax related to dog size and on an individual basis, the proceeds could be used to fund 'dog pooh fairies'.

You could make dog SORNs if your dog was not exercised in public areas, and heavy fines for contravening it.

But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

That's got me thinking, we could have a annual dog tax related to dog size and on an individual basis, the proceeds could be used to fund 'dog pooh fairies'.

You could make dog SORNs if your dog was not exercised in public areas, and heavy fines for contravening it.
          Dog licences were abolished in ENgland in the 1980s, but are still required in Northern Ireland:

dog licence
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X