• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how big should your warchest be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

Next Day
    Whorty "Hey I wonder where all my valubles went"
    Interesting you should say that .. I've never been one for buying expensive tat just to keep up with fashions. Mrs W had some nice jewelry that she bequeathed to friends on her death, but I have nothing worth nicking. Probably explains why I have enough cash to live on, because I don't feel the need to buy the latest iPhone or 100" tv
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Any mention of warchests here starts an outbreak of willy waving as people boast how many months or even years they could hold out.

But I'm proud to say my warchest is the size of a matchbox. It's not how big it is but what you do with it!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Likewise.

Although to be fair, it depends on your industry and likelihood of getting other work. If you do something that has a glut of contractors, then you'll want a bigger warchest - particularly if you're obnoxious, etc. If you've got a particular set of skills that are desirable, you know your market and you know your customer base, then I'd consider 6 months plenty.

Then again, warchests are meaningless if you don't know your burn rate.
        This ....

I live alone, no kids, no dependents, so my outgoings are much smaller than most I would guess. No mortgage, no rent means I spend about £16k a year (before nights out/holidays etc). Someone with kids to feed/school and 2 adults in the house would need a lot more I would think each year.

So it's not 'size', it is as Owl says, how you use it.

Comment

So the OP's original question has been answered without too much waving about of appendages.

It's all relative to your risk appetite, market, skills, personal situation

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

NLUK is right ..... you're trying to have a p*ssing contest with a group pf people who have been contracting for donkey's years. Even the ladies on here will p*ss higher up the wall fella (just don't ask Sue Ellen how she does it, it's her secret party trick

It's not really a game you want to play on here, so maybe stick to the pub with your mates who will be more impressed
            NLUK should consider some therapy for that abysmally low self esteem instead of projecting it everywhere. It's boring and achieves nothing, except maybe for some pity. The poor creature.

I asked a question because I wanted an answer for my mate. People responded, either usefully, in jest or both.Except for him everybody's been useful and I am grateful for their answers.

As for the donkey's years, it indeed seems we have some serious cases of dementia around since neither you nor poor floppy seem to get the part where I'm a woman.
            Old age is awful.

Comment

NLUK should consider some therapy for that abysmally low self esteem instead of projecting it everywhere. It's boring and achieves nothing, except maybe for some pity. The poor creature.

I asked a question because I wanted an answer for my mate. People responded, either usefully, in jest or both.Except for him everybody's been useful and I am grateful for their answers.

As for the donkey's years, it indeed seems we have some serious cases of dementia around since neither you nor poor floppy seem to get the part where I'm a woman.
              Old age is awful.
              Or we turn off when you post your drivel, so don't bother to take much in

Be thankful NLUK didn't tell you to run a search on the forum, as the same question has been asked hundreds of times in the past ... and people of here are probably bored by now of answering, hence why the p*ss taking.

Because there is no single answer ... there is only the follow up question, how long is a piece of string?

Comment

The only useful answer is how and how long do you want to survive? That should give you YOUR answer.

I set it as - no frills (pay the bills, eat from Tesco not Harrods and a year. After 2 years contracting we as a family could survive for 2-3 years. We tried it for 3 months and the calculations were correct.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  The only useful answer is how and how long do you want to survive? That should give you YOUR answer.

I set it as - no frills (pay the bills, eat from Tesco not Harrods and a year. After 2 years contracting we as a family could survive for 2-3 years. We tried it for 3 months and the calculations were correct.
                  Three months without caviar and champagne for breakfast? I doff my cap to you

Comment

Next Day
                    her " I wonder where all my dignity went"
                    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Three months without caviar and champagne for breakfast? I doff my cap to you
                      Tesco do champagne!

Its actually really cheap to live if you cook from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                      X