• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Statues cluttering up the place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statues cluttering up the place

I must admit, I'm quite sympathetic to statue puller downers, although not for the reasons they've been doing it.

It seems to me that since the advent of reproducible photography and movie films and videos, outdoor statues of former worthies and celebs are fairly redundant and clutter up spaces that would be better occupied by greenery, or something useful if you're not a pigeon.

(One could argue the same has always applied, because paintings and engravings have been around for centuries. But back then most of those were not necessarily generally publicly accessible and thus widely seen.)

Also, it doesn't help that most modern statues are hideously ugly and Stalinesque, so much so that they're positively creepy. The same goes for external abstract sculptures - Who really likes them or finds them the least bit inspiring, or anything less than a complete embarrassment and waste of space? Hardly anyone, I reckon.

Hopefully, the new statue of Princess Diana will serve a useful purpose in reconciling Princes Harry and William. But perhaps in a few years it can be forgotten about and quietly melted down

2021-07-01 'We wish she were still with us': Warring Prince Harry and William reunite to unveil statue honouring Diana's 'love, strength and character'
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 1 July 2021, 21:29.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Two down:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1876803.html
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
    X