• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bring back the Norman forest laws!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring back the Norman forest laws!

Back in the 1100s a significant part of England was so-called royal forest land, and this included entire counties such as Essex.

The penalties for "trespass on verd and venison" in a royal forest were pretty severe (castration and blinding), so any poacher the forest verderers caught in one with a deer over his shoulder or even a brace of rabbits, knew he was in for a Very Bad Day!

Actually, the problem for poachers wasn't so much being caught hunting or killing the animals or being in possession of them, but cooking them, because the smell of cooking game could be detected several miles away by hungry hounds the verderers kept for that purpose.

But anyway, now there's a petition to rewild what remains of royal forest land (although much of it has been sold off over the centuries, mainly to finance mostly futile wars and crusades) :

Royal family: 'Rewild' your land to boost wildlife and fight the climate crisis!

Actually, I don't think there's any thought of bringing back the forest laws. That was just my attempt at a provocative Daily Mail style headline.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 18 June 2021, 14:11.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Sounds good! I am rewilding my garden. No, it's not cos I'm a lazy old git who can't be bothered with gardening.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Sounds good! I am rewilding my garden. No, it's not cos I'm a lazy old git who can't be bothered with gardening.
      Make sure you tell your neighbours your garden is a wild life haven....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
      X