• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All Your Data Belongs To Us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

So tell me, which one of those bodies "is" the NHS?

/Sigh

Of course there is the concept of a national health service, however saying "It's the NHS's data" is incorrect as the NHS does not exist as a single entity who can be a data owner as per the ICO guidelines
    All the IT systems that GPs use are provided by the Trusts and CCGs that they belong to. To the surgery this is to all intents and purposes 'the NHS' as that is who they sign the contract with. I have a GP laptop in front of me and it has an asset sticker with "Property of NHS {region}" on it.

They will also be given the servers the patient records system sits on and the contract with whatever god awful system they are using is also signed at a regional level.

The GPs basically own nuffin, hardware, software or data. For the Guardian to be giving it "Brave GPs are refusing to hand over data" is utter bulltulip. I would image the software will just switch and send the data it to where ever it is being sent. It's on a par with "don't let the EU take our bent bananas" tulipe from the express.
    Last edited by minestrone; 1 June 2021, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If you don't care, that's fine. I have nothing particularly interesting in my medical history but much like the contents of my bank account, browser history, or mobile phone, I don't see why it should be freely available for anyone to poke around in.
      It's not that I don't care. I don't know if I should care,
      My bank account, browser history and mobile phone records are more important to me than my health records, with regards to privacy.

My health record is a simple matter of fact, of very little interest to anyone other than researchers, or big data profiteers. Either use has little impact on me or my life.

I'm open to be convinced I should care though. I'm just not hearing why.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

My bank account, browser history and mobile phone records are more important to me than my health records, with regards to privacy.

My health record is a simple matter of fact, of very little interest to anyone other than researchers, or big data profiteers. Either use has little impact on me or my life.

Your health records may not be important to you but they will be important to one or more of your blood relations.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

All the IT systems that GPs use are provided by the Trusts and CCGs that they belong to. To the surgery this is to all intents and purposes 'the NHS' as that is who they sign the contract with. I have a GP laptop in front of me and it has an asset sticker with "Property of NHS {region}" on it.

They will also be given the servers the patient records system sits on and the contract with whatever god awful system they are using is also signed at a regional level.

The GPs basically own nuffin, hardware, software or data. For the Guardian to be giving it "Brave GPs are refusing to hand over data" is utter bulltulip. I would image the software will just switch and send the data it to where ever it is being sent. It's on a par with "don't let the EU take our bent bananas" tulipe from the express.
          Sorry but you’re wrong.

the GP systems are usually one of two EMIS or TPP, both privately owned suppliers of IT systems (although they have to adhere to a tech spec given to them by NHS Digital).

I’ll give you a clue CCG means clinical commissioning group, which means these organisations commission services (as do NHS England) to be provided by GPs and hospital trusts among others, they pay for the service but others build and run them.

(PS trust me there are very few things I can speak with authority on, but in this situation I can say I know more than you on this subject)
          Last edited by SimonMac; 1 June 2021, 19:02.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I suppose I'm saying that I treat all data about me with the same level of interest and I like to control it as best I can when I can. If I can opt out of data sharing, I will, as most data sharing/privacy agreements are too loose for me to feel comfortable that what seems ok today will still be ok in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I suppose I'm saying that I treat all data about me with the same level of interest and I like to control it as best I can when I can. If I can opt out of data sharing, I will, as most data sharing/privacy agreements are too loose for me to feel comfortable that what seems ok today will still be ok in the future.
              And I think you’ve proven the system works, you made an informed choice and your choice was to opt out.

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm struggling to understand why I should care...
                I have no particular medical secrets.
                I know my data is worth money, but only as part of a much larger data set so it's not something I can monetise.
                I hear things about life insurance, but they will be able to get my information anyway if I need a policy.

So can someone please tell me why I should care? I have downloaded the forms to fill in if it seems worthwhile...
                I would be very concerned if the medical data is personally identifiable. Why, because insurers can blanket refuse to quote me, and employers and agencies can blacklist me for health and financial reasons. It would affect getting an annuity later in life. Mortgage companies might consider it a risk if there is ill health possible in keeping a job and paying a mortgage.

Seriously, you don't think you health records could affect future decisions of big companies focused on profits?
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

I would be very concerned if the medical data is personally identifiable. Why, because insurers can blanket refuse to quote me, and employers and agencies can blacklist me for health and financial reasons. It would affect getting an annuity later in life. Mortgage companies might consider it a risk if there is ill health possible in keeping a job and paying a mortgage.

Seriously, you don't think you health records could affect future decisions of big companies focused on profits?
                  It’s a leap to go from the current plans for data sharing, which explicitly state those type of example you mention are not allowed to your worst case scenario. However I understand the hesitation to trust those in Whitehall making the policy decisions

Comment

It’s a leap to go from the current plans for data sharing, which explicitly state those type of example you mention are not allowed to your worst case scenario. However I understand the hesitation to trust those in Whitehall making the policy decisions
                    Might even be added to a persons dating profile "This person has a lot of Syphilis"
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Might even be added to a persons dating profile "This person has a lot of Syphilis"
                      Don’t need that info, just add a photo of Brillo in Weatherspoons and it says the same thing
                      Last edited by SimonMac; 1 June 2021, 20:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X