• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private Health Care & Life insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I have life cover but not health cover.

Every time I look into private medical insurance (which covers your medical bills rather than paying out cash) I end up unsure what you actually get. I couldn't even find a private GP nearby.
    Location Location Location
    Unfortunately if you aren't in London and some parts of the SE it can be difficult to access the full range of private providers at a reasonable price. Lots of people self finance their private healthcare whether it's dental treatment, a scan, a blood test or a hip operation.

If I were someone actually rich or, more importantly, famous how would I avoid ever having to receive NHS services? You cannot get a private ambulance AFAIK but it if Tom Cruise injures himself filming in the UK you're not going to find him sitting in the ER in the local hospital for 6 hours. The NHS seems pretty egalitarian but do they have special access for 'special' people? Boris was in a regular ICU but if he broke his leg surely he wouldn't be sat awaiting ER triage with drunken lager louts?
    There is definitely special access for MPs and their families for A&E. Jeremy Hunt was caught using it.

​​​​​​
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Interesting - obviously MPs can't be seen using private healthcare which is a quirk in the UK and the "no special treatment" angst. I would damn well hope they DO get to avoid the queues, personally.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have life cover but not health cover.

Every time I look into private medical insurance (which covers your medical bills rather than paying out cash) I end up unsure what you actually get. I couldn't even find a private GP nearby.

If I were someone actually rich or, more importantly, famous how would I avoid ever having to receive NHS services? You cannot get a private ambulance AFAIK but it if Tom Cruise injures himself filming in the UK you're not going to find him sitting in the ER in the local hospital for 6 hours. The NHS seems pretty egalitarian but do they have special access for 'special' people? Boris was in a regular ICU but if he broke his leg surely he wouldn't be sat awaiting ER triage with drunken lager louts?
        Tom Cruise would take a couple of paracetamol, man up and get on with it,.

Comment

I am approaching 50 and have no life insurance because I have been dithering about returning to permieland.

Can anyone recommend any decent policies?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
            I am approaching 50 and have no life insurance because I have been dithering about returning to permieland.

Get one that has Critical Illness cover.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Use a broker.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X