• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offer - inside IR35 question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That wasn't my experience, I was quoted a daily rate which was GROSS of those deductions, therefore I was paying it , in my view. My accountant seems to agree also, they said that the daily rate should be NET of Employers NI and agency fees.
    Last edited by Scoobos; Yesterday, 14:16.

(Sorry, I couldn't find the "quote" button)

The agencies are quoting the "assignment rate" (or "smurf rate" if you prefer). It's not a "real" rate as we would know it; they do it to get your attention and to try to hide the fact the rate to you is 25% lower than they're advertising, after ENIC and holiday pay is taken off.

At the end of the day, no one else is going to pay ENIC, AL, Holiday Pay so it has to come out of your rate, so the key is know exactly what's being offered before you sign up to anything, and to increase "your rate" as much as possible to reduce the impact (I.e. "make them pay the ENIC" by increasing the "rate")

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post

They said the deduction goes into a pot that I take from whenever I take annual leave or if I don't then the pot is then given back to me.
      Um - again this makes no sense.

Has the agency sent you the Key Information Document they legally need to send you explaining how you get paid and what your take home pay will be.

And there are really only 2 rates that the agency can offer:-

PAYE rate if you are being paid directly via the agency. If you are being paid via PAYE than you are entitled to paid holidays at the equivalent of 28 days a year.

Assignment rate - which is HMRC's new preferred name for Smurf / Umbrella rate. This is the rate the agency pays the umbrella from which:-

Holiday pay
      Employer NI
      Apprenticeship Levy
      Employer Pension contributions
      Umbrella fees

Need to be deducted before the umbrella starts paying you. That premium rate isn't enough to cover those costs...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So I've received the KID (Temporary Workers Useful Information).

https://www.hays.co.uk/documents/346...dbook+2019.pdf

It gives an explanation of the working rate and rate explanation, which I'm seeing makes a bit more sense now.

Comment

So I've received the KID (Temporary Workers Useful Information).

https://www.hays.co.uk/documents/346...dbook+2019.pdf

It gives an explanation of the working rate and rate explanation, which I'm seeing makes a bit more sense now.

That's not a KID - it should be 2 pages max in length.

Comment

Good Lord, what have they done to us?

Comment

KID doc came through:
              Deductions from your pay required by law: Income Tax
              Employee’s National Insurance
              Student loan repayment, if relevant
              Any ‘Attachment of Earnings Order’ issued by the Courts
              Holiday entitlement and pay: 28 days per year inclusive of bank holidays, unless specified otherwise in the Assignment Confirmation Letter issued for a specific assignment

EXAMPLE PAY STATEMENT

Example rate of pay: For illustrative purposes only, this includes a calculation based on a premium rate of £10 per hour and 35 hours per week = £350
              28 days holiday pay accrued to be paid back when you are on leave. Taxes are applied at point of payment

28 days holiday divided by 260 working days a year (excluding weekends) = 10.77%
              Holiday pay is accrued at 10.77%, which for £10 = £1.08 accrued holiday pay for every hour worked

£10 - £1.08 leaves a working rate of £8.92 per hour, which at 35 hours = £312.20, plus £37.80 accrued holiday pay
              Deductions from your wage required by law: Income tax (over £240 x 20%) = £14.44
              Employees National insurance (over £183 X 12%) = £15.50
              Any other deductions or costs from your wage: Auto enrolment workplace pensions after 12 weeks service is 5% of earnings over £192 after tax/NI deductions (£280.22 -192 = £4.41)
              Example net take home pay: Net pay is equal to = £282.26

Comment

well it is a KID and it does show that they are deducting holiday pay and haven't mentioned Employers NI at all so they won't be able to deduct that later.

But it's a mess as they've created a pay scheme that doesn't exist in the real world and I would have thought Hayes were better than that.

Comment

It's mentioned (Employers NI) under the "Deductions from your wage required by law" section.

But as you say, it is a mess and it is an odd model they are using.

Comment

It's mentioned (Employers NI) under the "Deductions from your wage required by law" section.

But as you say, it is a mess and it is an odd model they are using.
                    What is mentioned there is employee's NI (which you as an employee pay as part of your NI bill).

Income Tax
                    Employee’s National Insurance
                    Student loan repayment, if relevant
                    Any ‘Attachment of Earnings Order’ issued by the Courts

This really is a hideous no man's land that doesn't give you either the full assignment rate (useful for salary sacrifice options) nor a standard PAYE contract.

Comment

It gets better....

I asked what the salary sacrifice options were. Apparently the only pensions they offer are NEST (they do not allow private pension contributions).

NEST seems a crock of tulip to be honest. They don't take it out of the gross pay either *facepalm*

Comment

Working...
                      X