• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini umbrella firms costing UK taxpayer millions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Disguised Contractor View Post
    Could anyone with greater knowledge of tax loopholes than I please express an opinion on how this loophole could be leveraged or abused with regards to IR35?
    It has got nothing to do with IR35.

It has got to do with nobody, especially the civil service wanting to employ people. And the resulting dodgy agency/umbrella scenarios that have been around in numerous forms over the last 15-20 years or so.

If companies employed people, a lot of this would go away.

And as has been said on this thread, in this case it is affecting people on or potentially below minimum wage.

Comment

This problem has always existed but snowballed during the Blair/Brown years as trade unions decided they loved the Labour party and sacks of money more than their members. The fact that total taxation has been going up year after year as government liabilities swell hasn't helped either.

Sooner or later we will reach an en-pass where the cost of government will crush what is left of the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

a right wing mag like Private eye discovering it? Only the way because of the unique way the BBC is funded can they discover such injustice.
        Private Eye is right wing? Really?
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Poor HMRC can't get a break. They enforce ir35 and this pops up.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            Poor HMRC can't get a break. They enforce ir35 and this pops up.
            HMRC HQ - >

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Private Eye is right wing? Really?
              it was a joke when you as far left as the Beeb is sometimes then Stalin looks right wing.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

An excuse for Sunak to cancel that 4k employment tax bonus for everybody

Comment

Working...
                X