• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I get my hair curled?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get my hair curled?

What with all this Covid hoo-hah, and barbers being closed, I haven't had a haircut for over a year now, and my hair is well below my collar.

My neighbur offered to give me a free haircut, but bearing in mind her husband's recently adopted pudding basin hair style, I politely declined.

But now it is longer than it has ever been, I wondered if it might be a laugh to get it curled for once, to see how it looked. (I am not receding, touch wood, so a curly hair style might look quite fetching.)

Anyone had this done? How long does it last? Is it a sod to comb? Or is it really expensive? (Not that the money worries me much if it is a one-off and lasts months).

Will I have to sit for three hours in a ladies hairdresser, the only guy, with passers by snickering, and surrounded by women discussing last night's episode of Coronation Street?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What with all this Covid hoo-hah, and barbers being closed, I haven't had a haircut for over a year now, and my hair is well below my collar.

My neighbur offered to give me a free haircut, but bearing in mind her husband's recently adopted pudding basin hair style, I politely declined.

But now it is longer than it has ever been, I wondered if it might be a laugh to get it curled for once, to see how it looked. (I am not receding, touch wood, so a curly hair style might look quite fetching.)

Anyone had this done? How long does it last? Is it a sod to comb? Or is it really expensive? (Not that the money worries me much if it is a one-off and lasts months).

Will I have to sit for three hours in a ladies hairdresser, the only guy, with passers by snickering, and surrounded by women discussing last night's episode of Coronation Street?
    I had a perm back in the late 1980's / early 1990's. Depending on how tight a curl you go for, you may need to change the implement you use to comb the knots out. A standard brush will just pull the curls out. Price will be upwards from about £45 depending on where you get it done and hair length.

Your options are to go for a perm, which is a chemical process that breaks and resets the shape of your hair and lasts several months if looked after, or a 'set' which will last for a couple of washes at most and is simply lots of product used to temporary set your hair into a curl.

Both will take a good couple of hours and you may have to sit under a contraption that helps the process along. Make sure you take along a copy of Heat or Hello to enhance your experience (it seems magazines have been removed from hairdressers at the moment).

Comment

A night with NLyUK should curl it nicely!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

There are unisex hairdressers you know.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

There are unisex hairdressers you know.
          Very true but I think he ought to go somewhere traditional for the shampoo and set

Comment

Doing a Bob Ross, signature perm to save money on haircuts.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Very true but I think he ought to go somewhere traditional for the shampoo and set and lots of local gossip

FTFY

Comment

If it's been a year, you'll probably be better off hiring a proficient gardener. You should be able to get someone decent for about £30 an hour. Steer clear of the curling idea, unless you want to look like a German footballer. Or to put it another way, people will think you're a Kuntz...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I say go for it, you can always have a mobile hairdresser come to your house to do the deed.
                  Get a couple of photos that you can have a giggle over in a few years

I have some thing similar planned, when the day comes that I will need full on chemo, and before my hair falls out I am going to try a Mohican!
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    I say go for it, you can always have a mobile hairdresser come to your house to do the deed.
                    Get a couple of photos that you can have a giggle over in a few years

I have some thing similar planned, when the day comes that I will need full on chemo, and before my hair falls out I am going to try a Mohican!
                    Do it now girl, don't wait for fate.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X