• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Still want that Tesla?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Oh that made me chuckle

Blow up doll added for more realism.

Safer just not to eat fish before driving...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      The auto driving, stay in your lane, thing is disturbing. I don't feel comfortable when it is on.

It's like a 3rd year CS project with a rasberry pie steering a lego truck round a classroom. Straying and jerking along the road.
      I had a Mercedes hire car last week with "lane assist" - I've had it before on cars, where it was just a gentle pressure on the steering wheel you had to overcome. Not on this bad boy though - I'm doing ......70....ish.....officer... on an empty motorway at 9pm, go to move over into Lane 2 because of a junction where the car takes it upon itself to slam on the brakes and jerk the steering wheel away from me.

That function got quickly disabled. Scared me half to death

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

I had a Mercedes hire car last week with "lane assist" - I've had it before on cars, where it was just a gentle pressure on the steering wheel you had to overcome. Not on this bad boy though - I'm doing ......70....ish.....officer... on an empty motorway at 9pm, go to move over into Lane 2 because of a junction where the car takes it upon itself to slam on the brakes and jerk the steering wheel away from me.

That function got quickly disabled. Scared me half to death
        Crikey that sounds dangerous! I think I'll stick with my ancient jalopy for a good while longer. There's far too much technical witchcraft going on in cars for my liking.

Comment

VWDan - I had a very similar experience with a courtesy car that VW gave me too.

It was borderline dangerous, I was only on a 40 mile per hour road - trying to make space for a cyclist, wasn't aware of this "feature" as it was the first drive, so I made the manoeuvre with my usual timing, say 20 foot from the cyclist, and I was shocked when I found it so hard to move the car over!

It wasn't gentle resistance to turning the wheel, it was very strong and I thought the car might have been at fault. Your story says it perhaps wasn't.

It might be a good feature if its explained and you test it, but giving cars with this enabled out "blind" is dangerous!

Comment

The thing with electric cars is that in case of serious accidents the occupants are cremated by the battery fire. Quite handy feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
              The thing with electric cars is that in case of serious accidents the occupants are electrocuted first and then cremated by the chemical battery fire. Quite handy feature for anybody seeking a divorce.
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                VWDan - I had a very similar experience with a courtesy car that VW gave me too.

It was borderline dangerous, I was only on a 40 mile per hour road - trying to make space for a cyclist, wasn't aware of this "feature" as it was the first drive, so I made the manoeuvre with my usual timing, say 20 foot from the cyclist, and I was shocked when I found it so hard to move the car over!

It wasn't gentle resistance to turning the wheel, it was very strong and I thought the car might have been at fault. Your story says it perhaps wasn't.

It might be a good feature if its explained and you test it, but giving cars with this enabled out "blind" is dangerous!
                Yep, it was the same force as if a passenger had snatched the wheel - really took me by surprise and flung me back into the lane I was trying to leave. Coupled with the braking action I can't say I was impressed!

My 2015 Octavia used to have it, and that was just a gentle resistance - you could easily overcome it, it just prevented you from inadvertently drifting.

To be fair, I believe indicating usually disables the feature completely but I didn't really feel the need to signal to an empty road!

Comment

This reminds me how in CUK golden age when threaded was asking for advice how to program (when to disable) cruise control

Comment

Frioend of mine took a VW thing out for a test drive last year and every time it came up against one of those humps in the road to slow traffic down it braked really hard. Technology for the sake of tech doesn't work does it.

Comment

If you are wearing a white shirt and rest your arm on the door when the window is down the Tesla thinks that is a line on the road and the line on the display goes all wobbly.

I dunno, I'm not that confident about all this stuff. One day someone is going to spill white paint along a road and a bunch of Teslas are going to end up smashing into a cafe.

Comment

Working...
                      X