• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are cheap wines really made from grapes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Poor wines in casseroles = poor casseroles. Always use the finest ingredients in any food.

OwlHoot - so far as I know, there are no sweetened wines in the way you imagine.
    People call it cooking wine for a reason

What about Buckfast, isn't that sweetened?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Did a bit of digging, and it seems the practice of adding sugar to the must up front is called "chaptalization".

And adding sugar at the end is called "back sweetening". Apparently it is usually more trouble than it is worth, because if one isn't careful it restarts fermentation!

They add a lot of chemical stabilisers and fermentation inhibitors to wine for this reason (among others), also to most beer that is force-carbonated. Back sweetening is pretty common in some products, cider being a good example - the natural state of cider is to be very dry and very strong.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
      X