• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

dodgy data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dodgy data

Did anyone see the Panorama's Undercover: Inside the Covid Testing Lab.

This along with last years dodgy data analysis

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54423988

and the failing NHS Track and Trace

https://news.sky.com/story/test-and-...-risk-12235392

It is difficult to believe any of the Statistics from the government.

I agree that covid is very bad for the elderly and infirm. And the vaccines will prevent deaths for them.

But how can the Government close businesses and pass laws based on jumbled data. It is insane.

There is no way to reliably calculate the r rate, or the death rate with the stuff that has been going on.

Comment

I know this forum is anti anything against the lock down. And I made a point of agreeing that the vaccine is a good thing. I am not anti vac, my parents have had it, so has my sister as she is vulnerable.

So what's with

Comment

The trouble with statistics is that they are always based on samples from the target population. This means that trends and interpretations will vary depending on the methodology, sampling technique and much more.

You can get data to prove any point of view you want to push so, yes, that could well mean that the government picked data to support their agenda. You do have to ask yourself what that agenda is as it's not in a Tory's nature to spend public money in the way they have. If Labour had been in power, I would be far more worried.

That said, I do believe that the virus situation has presented an opportunity to put in place powers to curtail a lot of freedoms that we have taken for granted and I am very much opposed to things like vaccine passports. I think presenting a negative test before international travel is fine, and have a testing system on return, but to decide what aspects of day to day society a person is permitted to engage in based on ther vaccine status is going way too far. I know AtW and I disagree on that point

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          The trouble with statistics is that they are always based on samples from the target population. This means that trends and interpretations will vary depending on the methodology, sampling technique and much more.

You can get data to prove any point of view you want to push so, yes, that could well mean that the government picked data to support their agenda. You do have to ask yourself what that agenda is as it's not in a Tory's nature to spend public money in the way they have. If Labour had been in power, I would be far more worried.

That said, I do believe that the virus situation has presented an opportunity to put in place powers to curtail a lot of freedoms that we have taken for granted and I am very much opposed to things like vaccine passports. I think presenting a negative test before international travel is fine, and have a testing system on return, but to decide what aspects of day to day society a person is permitted to engage in based on ther vaccine status is going way too far. I know AtW and I disagree on that point
          I agree with the fact the Tories are spending public money more then they normally would. But a lot of the money the Tories are spending is going to their supporters. I also think governments, Not just ours are good at using a crisis to hide other issues. Before the pandemic we had Extinction Rebellion stopping traffic, unrest in Hong Kong, to name a few.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

I agree with the fact the Tories are spending public money more then they normally would. But a lot of the money the Tories are spending is going to their supporters. I also think governments, Not just ours are good at using a crisis to hide other issues. Before the pandemic we had Extinction Rebellion stopping traffic, unrest in Hong Kong, to name a few.
              That's not news. It's long been a tactic to publish bad news on days when something else is going on.

And, yes, the amount of money going to donors and cronies is disgusting.

Both of those are separate issues to your original argument about whether you can trust the data set the government is using.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That's not news. It's long been a tactic to publish bad news on days when something else is going on.

And, yes, the amount of money going to donors and cronies is disgusting.

Both of those are separate issues to your original argument about whether you can trust the data set the government is using.
                Fair point.

Sometimes I give too much credit to the governments competence.

Disaster by design.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

Fair point.

Sometimes I give too much credit to the governments competence.

Disaster by design.
                  Hanlons Razor!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Hanlons Razor!
                    Is that the blunt one that leaves lots of nicks that need tiny bits of loo roll to stem the bleeding?

Comment

Working...
                    X