• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Jobs for the Young 'Uns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Jobs for the Young 'Uns

"According to new research from the Prince's Trust, people under 25 account for three in five of the jobs lost during the crisis so far.

And it warns youth unemployment could rise even higher.

The problem, it says, is that younger workers are over-represented in sectors hit hardest by the pandemic, such as hospitality and entertainment, and these will take longer to recover."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56565635

Whilst this is obvious a serious issue, I'm not sure the people being interviewed in that article really help. The undertones are "It's not fair that people are only hiring for the jobs they need, not for the job i want to do".

Even before the pandemic, people looking for jobs in the creative industries or in Ecology and Wildlife (the examples from the article) , were pretty much going to end up working in a coffee shop anyway for large parts of their early careers.

Increase pensions, lower the retirement age, and the young are welcome to all the other jobs taken up by knackered old wrinklies.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Increase pensions, lower the retirement age, and the young are welcome to all the other jobs taken up by knackered old wrinklies.
      You’ll always be in demand thanks to your superior VB6 knowledge...

Comment

I think Covid is going to permanently change the world of work and accelerate trends that have been underway for some time with the gig economy.

I can see an ever growing number of gig work platforms emerging and ultimately many people might be doing four or five gigs in lieu of full time work for a single employer. This could especially be true for the young/inexperienced and those with lower levels of education or skills that the market doesn't need.

Comment

This is happening all over the worl. Population is increasing but job market is shrinking. I feel for the young generation, they are screwed.

Comment

Bring on 4 day working week!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Bring on 0 day working week!
              We just need Universal Income for all. AI and robots do all the work and 99% of humans don't need jobs.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

We just need Universal Income for all. AI and robots do all the work and 99% of humans don't need jobs.
                With the rollout Covid jab, over 50% of adult humans in the UK are already (Gates') robots.
                Last edited by Paralytic; 31 March 2021, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

With the rollout Covid jab, over 50% of adult humans in the UK are already (Gate's) robots.
                  I want the Moderna one as that gives you big boobs and a tendency to croon country music tunes.

Comment

Can you program robots in VB6?

Comment

Working...
                    X