• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

China Bans..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China Bans..

Iain Duncan Smith! It would be funny if the matter wasn't so serious.

While we don't have completely free speech we are allowed to speak out over abuse of individuals and groups of people

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56532569

China has imposed sanctions on nine UK citizens - including five MPs - for spreading what it called "lies and disinformation" about the country.

The group are among the most vocal critics of China in the UK.

It comes in retaliation for measures taken by the UK government on Monday over human rights abuses against the Uighur Muslim minority group.
    Boris Johnson said those sanctioned were "shining a light" on "gross human rights violations".
    "Freedom to speak out in opposition to abuse is fundamental and I stand firmly with them," the prime minister said in a tweet

The foreign secretary said if Beijing wanted to "credibly rebut" the claims it should allow UN access to Xinjiang

Those targeted by China include former Conservative leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith, two peers, a lawyer and an academic.

Sir Iain said he would wear the sanctions "as a badge of honour".

The response by China follows similar sanctions imposed on the European Union, which was part of the co-ordinated action on Monday, along with the UK, the US and Canada.

China has detained Uighurs at camps in the north-west region of Xinjiang, where allegations of torture, forced labour and sexual abuse have emerged.

It has denied the allegations of abuse, claiming the camps are "re-education" facilities used to combat terrorism.
    • Tory MPs Sir Iain, Nusrat Ghani and Tim Loughton, and peers Baroness Kennedy and Lord Alton, who are all members of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China
    • Tory MPs Tom Tugendhat and Neil O'Brien, who lead the China Research Group
    • Lawyer Sir Geoffrey Nice QC, chair of the Uighur Tribunal, which is investigating atrocities against the minority group
    • Newcastle University academic Jo Smith Finley, whose research focuses on the Uighurs

They will all be banned from entering China, Hong Kong and Macau, their property in China will be frozen and Chinese citizens and institutions will be prohibited from doing business with them.

Sir Iain said: "Those of us who live free lives under the rule of law must speak for those who have no voice. If that brings the anger of China down upon me then I shall wear that as a badge of honour."

Mr Tugendhat, who chairs the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee, told the BBC: "I view this as a direct assault on British democracy and an attempt to silence the British people who have chosen me to speak for them."

He added that the government had been too soft on China, which he said had been "constantly and continuously seeking to intervene" in the internal matters of the UK.

Ms Ghani told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the move was a "wake-up call" for democratic countries, that China would sanction law-makers who were just doing their job.

She added: "I won't be intimidated. This has now made me even more determined to speak out about the Uighurs."

Academic Dr Smith Finley tweeted: "I have no regrets for speaking out, and I will not be silenced."

Lord Alton said: "The imposition of tit-for-tat sanctions is a crude attempt to silence criticism," adding that the "first duty of a parliamentarian is to use their voice on behalf of those whose voices have been silenced".

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Maybe NF should boycott the Saturday night chinese in protest?

Comment

China is pretty good with "natural" herbal poisons, just saying.

ATW in "SupremeSpod" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        They will all be banned from entering China, Hong Kong and Macau, their property in China will be frozen and Chinese citizens and institutions will be prohibited from doing business with them.
        Is that really going to have a huge impact on them?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

They'll struggle to get anything from Amazon...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

No cushy non-exec directorships for them from Chinese companies, they’ll now have to kiss Tsar’s Putin’s ring, again.

Comment

Some analysts see a military conflict between America and China as inevitable.

Putin still likes to think of Russia as a super power but it's a far cry from the old Soviet Union.

There's something I find deeply sinister about the Chinese state.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                Some analysts see a military conflict between America and China as inevitable.

Putin still likes to think of Russia as a super power but it's a far cry from the old Soviet Union.

There's something I find deeply sinister about the Chinese state.
                China is never to be trusted. They always say something and do something else.
                In the next few years , they will occupy Taiwan, that's when US China conflict will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

China is never to be trusted. They always say something and do something else.
                  In the next few years , they will occupy Taiwan, that's when US China conflict will happen.
                  I was pleased I got to visit Hong Kong before it really kicked off. There were a few demonstrations going on when we were there in 2019 but it was all polite and well publicised so you could easily avoid the areas affected. It's a fab place to visit and I'd love to go back but I can't see it happening unless something fundamental changes.

HWMBO and I were hoping to get to Taiwan this year (that trip around SE Asia is now cancelled) as we're worried China will make a move. Hopefully we'll get there next year.

Comment

I was pleased I got to visit Hong Kong before it really kicked off. There were a few demonstrations going on when we were there in 2019 but it was all polite and well publicised so you could easily avoid the areas affected. It's a fab place to visit and I'd love to go back but I can't see it happening unless something fundamental changes.

HWMBO and I were hoping to get to Taiwan this year (that trip around SE Asia is now cancelled) as we're worried China will make a move. Hopefully we'll get there next year.
                    If it's still there. The Chinese might just arrange another tsunami...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X