• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

webp files - What are they, and why do the wretched things exist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

webp files - What are they, and why do the wretched things exist?

When I right-click an image on a web page to save it (on Windows), as often as not these days the file name suffix comes up as ".webp".

I have found that I have to manually change this each time to .png to avoid problems viewing the file later.

Anyone know what this damned webp format is all about and why it was introduced? I could Google, but someone here must know. TIA
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    When I right-click an image on a web page to save it (on Windows), as often as not these days the file name suffix comes up as ".webp".

I have found that I have to manually change this each time to .png to avoid problems viewing the file later.

Anyone know what this damned webp format is all about and why it was introduced? I could Google, but someone here must know. TIA
    It was introduced to try and stop thieves right clicking on images and saving them to their local Windows PC.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

It's just a new compressed image format, somewhat smaller than either png or jpg, and supports transparency, unlike jpg. Not sure why changing the extension to png should work, I imagine whatever you ultimately open it in is still treating it as webp so maybe your are missing a file association?

Comment

Working...
      X