• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diestl
    Hi,
    Now that I'm contracting I want to invest the extra income. I looking at a 10 year plan, these are what I see as my options.

1) Get a large mortgage and overpay it as much as possible.
    2) Get an interest only mortgage, open a couple of maxi-share(linked to ftse) ISA's (me and other half) and pay the limit into them (7K pa).
    3) Repayment mortgage and one isa.
    Trading up to a bigger house at the moment may be a debatable decision but paying off any existing mortage with any excess income is hard to beat. You could make more going the ISA route but paying off your mortage is a nailed on 5%+ tax free return. As mentioned in other replies potential contracting worries are a lot easier to handle when mortage free.

Comment

The one thing to think about if you're diverting funds to mortgage overpayments from other investments (i.e. shares) is that you'll be missing out on compound interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Goya
        The one thing to think about if you're diverting funds to mortgage overpayments from other investments (i.e. shares) is that you'll be missing out on compound interest.
        Needed a bit of thinking about but it works exactly the same but in reverse ( and is tax free ). The interest on the chunk you chose to not pay off compounds on to the outstanding mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
          Needed a bit of thinking about but it works exactly the same but in reverse ( and is tax free ). The interest on the chunk you chose to not pay off compounds on to the outstanding mortgage.
          Exactly - I finally saw the light on that one a few years ago, particularly the tax-free bit.

Comment

There is some good investment potential here for any wannabe property developers and/or buy-to-letters out there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120079905388

Comment

sorry for being thick - but could you explain what you mean

>>The interest on the chunk you chose to not pay off compounds on to the outstanding mortgage.

>>Exactly - I finally saw the light on that one a few years ago, particularly the tax-free bit.

what tax free bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface
                sorry for being thick - but could you explain what you mean

>>The interest on the chunk you chose to not pay off compounds on to the outstanding mortgage.

>>Exactly - I finally saw the light on that one a few years ago, particularly the tax-free bit.

what tax free bit?

By not paying of a chunk of your mortgage you end up paying interest on that chunk which effectively compounds over the period it takes to pay off the same amount in the conventional manner.

Over payments on a mortgage are effectivly a tax free investment at the mortgage lending rate. The same money invested in other ways is potentially subject to tax, depending on the type of investment.

Bottom line is, if you have a mortgage then 99% of the time it makes better financial sense to pay that mortgage off rather than invest money in other ways.
                Last edited by DaveB; 5 February 2007, 15:36. Reason: spelling corrected in memory of Fleetwood.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                  Bottom line is, if you have a mortgage then 99% of the time it makes better financial sense to pay that mortgage off rather than invest money in other ways.
                  Even more so if you are a 40% taxpayer.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    There is some good investment potential here for any wannabe property developers and/or buy-to-letters out there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120079905388
                    So what was the best offer then (I must be the only person in the world without an ebay account)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                      So what was the best offer then (I must be the only person in the world without an ebay account)

tim

£15K

Comment

Working...
                      X