• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Planetary DOOM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planetary DOOM

“ Magnetic disaster ‘that wiped out Neanderthals’ is due a repeat

The world reached a turning point towards the tail end of the Stone Age. In Europe our closest evolutionary cousins, the Neanderthals, vanished while in Australia every animal larger than a kangaroo disappeared. Our species displayed a creative explosion of cave art.

A new study argues that this can be linked to one event — a sudden collapse of the Earth’s magnetic field, which left the planet vulnerable to a blistering surge of cosmic radiation.

The research, published in the journal Science, points out that we are overdue a repeat. It looks at the most recent reversal of our magnetic field, which surrounds the world like an invisible balloon, defending us from a barrage of deadly particles emitted by the sun.

About 42,000 years ago the poles flipped and magnetic north essentially became south. The magnetic field, generated by the churning of molten iron in Earth’s outer core, faded to 6 per cent of its usual strength. The sun began to emit intense bursts of radiation.“

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m...peat-grfsx92qg

Better get more fridge magnets, or even better - get lead padded fridge before it’s too la

Doesn't sound too bad. At least you get a nice tan...

Comment

Does this mean I'd have to buy a new compass?

DOOM indeed!

Comment

So what you're saying is that it's not my lack of ability to figure out what direction I'm heading in, its my compass showing the wrong information?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          So what you're saying is that it's not my lack of ability to figure out what direction I'm heading in, its my compass showing the wrong information?
          No its because you're female.

Are men better wired to read maps or is it a tired cliche?

And men are just geeks, when I was stuck in traffic I used to get my map book out and plan journeys to parts of the country I'd never been to. Hate Sat Navs.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

It is...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              It is...

Dammit. I have become the thing I hate

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                No its because you're female.

Are men better wired to read maps or is it a tired cliche?

And men are just geeks, when I was stuck in traffic I used to get my map book out and plan journeys to parts of the country I'd never been to. Hate Sat Navs.
                I don't like sat navs either but will occasionally use the the function on my phone. I have often planned trips with a map book or, more recently, online maps. I would write out the key junctions I need to take and town names to keep an eye out for and sellotape it to the dashboard.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Doesn't sound too bad. At least you get a nice tan...
                  Exactly, and look on the bright side, when it happens again there may be another explosion of cave art!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Damn it. I have become the thing I hate. *sad face*
                    Vetran?

Comment

Working...
                    X