• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the cure worse than the disease?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the cure worse than the disease?

Covid and suicide: Japan'''s rise a warning to the world? - BBC News

If this is happening in Japan, with no strict lockdowns, and relatively few Covid deaths, then what is happening in other countries where the pandemic is much worse?

Japan's culture is very, very, different to most others.

Mental health is absolutely devastated across the West but the number of actual deaths is still tiny compared to Covid deaths, and Covid deaths prevented by lockdowns.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They do seem to have a much worse attitude to liberated women than we do. From documentaries many of the women are treated like we would in the 50s. Combine that with the job losses happening its hardly surprising.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        They do seem to have a much worse attitude to liberated women than we do. From documentaries many of the women are treated like we would in the 50s. Combine that with the job losses happening its hardly surprising.
        Maybe. UK is not a homogenous population though. You still have 5-10% of the female population in the UK who are essentially prisoners. Not even able to go outside their home without covering up, not able to speak or shake hands with males outside their family/household or they are beaten, disowned or worse.

Rates of domestic violence in UK are similar to Japan in the statistics I could find although again the distribution will be much different.

I think in a lot of ways its worse in UK because yes we have all these liberated women but at same time we allow some segments of the population in the UK to imprison women and take away their freedoms and rights. It must be so difficult for these women to make it to an essentially free country where the women of this country are able to be free and enjoy something relatively close to equality and yet still be a prisoner. That must be so demoralising.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          Maybe. UK is not a homogenous population though. You still have 5-10% of the female population in the UK who are essentially prisoners. Not even able to go outside their home without covering up, not able to speak or shake hands with males outside their family/household or they are beaten, disowned or worse.

Rates of domestic violence in UK are similar to Japan in the statistics I could find although again the distribution will be much different.

I think in a lot of ways its worse in UK because yes we have all these liberated women but at same time we allow some segments of the population in the UK to imprison women and take away their freedoms and rights. It must be so difficult for these women to make it to an essentially free country where the women of this country are able to be free and enjoy something relatively close to equality and yet still be a prisoner. That must be so demoralising.

I agree we do seem to have imported a number of problems from certain cultures and religions that we are unwilling to confront.

Suicide though is a sin in most Abrahamic religions so maybe that prevents deaths?

Religious Views on Suicide - Muslim Public Affairs Council

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post

If you're equating that 5-10% figure to the Muslim female population then I think saying 5-10% of the female population are prisoners is an exaggeration. Although the majority of Muslims in the UK are of Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin, there is a significant proportion from other countries like Turkey, India, Iran etc which are more liberal. There's also increasing independence and liberal attitudes amongst the younger (and especially more educated) generation. I'm not saying it's not a significant problem in some areas but the UK Muslim population isn't homogenous either.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              If you're equating that 5-10% figure to the Muslim female population then I think saying 5-10% of the female population are prisoners is an exaggeration. Although the majority of Muslims in the UK are of Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin, there is a significant proportion from other countries like Turkey, India, Iran etc which are more liberal. There's also increasing independence and liberal attitudes amongst the younger (and especially more educated) generation. I'm not saying it's not a significant problem in some areas but the UK Muslim population isn't homogenous either.
              Added to that some Muslim women believe it or not choose to cover themselves up.

There is actually loads of domestic abuse that isn't related to religion. In fact all the cases I've known through my life the vast majority of religious people involved aren't Muslim.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Added to that some Muslim women believe it or not choose to cover themselves up.

There is actually loads of domestic abuse that isn't related to religion. In fact all the cases I've known through my life the vast majority of religious people involved aren't Muslim.

Some of the best fathers I have known are Muslim, willing to spend time with their kids and determined to push them to excel.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I think if you believe some choose to cover themselves up you also believe that women choose to stay with their abusers and get what they're asking for. If they don't cover up at best they are kicked out of their community at worse its physical violence up to death. The pressure from their community and family is crazy. Not saying this as a total outsider as I am married into the culture.

But yeah maybe 5-10% is wrong I don't know, I was just casually throwing a number out there, not meant to say I did extensive research or anything but I see hundreds of women who aren't allowed to interact with society every single day when I go outside in London... that's all.

Comment

Working...
                  X