• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a property that lacks building regs for recent work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a property that lacks building regs for recent work

Very very very late in the process (the EA is pushing for exchange) it came to light that the vendor converted the conservatory into an extension of the living area (knocked down the wall/replaced roof). This is fairly recent (3-4 years ago) so it is a bit of a red flag that they failed to get this signed off. Also they did not disclose this in the property information form and claimed that they didn't do the work it seems (although this bit is still unclear - solicitor's heresay), however we have found evidence that they did do the work. They are now trying to peddle indemnity insurance for this however I have concerns:
    - Safety - extension work is new - why no sign off? They knocked down a supporting wall.
    - Cannot get restrospective building regs sign off as foundation of the ex-conservatory may not have been deep enough. This means that the property will be forever tainted with this.
    - Difficulty in resale. Surveyor as well as other parties have told us that indemnity insurance is worthless.
    - Home insurance impact. Insurance people do tend to try weasling their way out of paying for serious stuff and if the ceiling comes crashing down I assume they will use building regs to avoid paying.
    - Potential for council enforcement is not really covered by indemnity insurance as it is void in many cases (for example if somebody grasses you up to the council)
    - Cannot do any work to this extension (or any other exension?) because wouldn't be able to get building regs signed off.

Thoughts? Have you previously been involved in buying property without building regs/with indemnity insurance

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    Very very very late in the process (the EA is pushing for exchange) it came to light that the vendor converted the conservatory into an extension of the living area (knocked down the wall/replaced roof). This is fairly recent (3-4 years ago) so it is a bit of a red flag that they failed to get this signed off. Also they did not disclose this in the property information form and claimed that they didn't do the work it seems (although this bit is still unclear - solicitor's heresay), however we have found evidence that they did do the work. They are now trying to peddle indemnity insurance for this however I have concerns:
    - Safety - extension work is new - why no sign off? They knocked down a supporting wall.
    - Cannot get restrospective building regs sign off as foundation of the ex-conservatory may not have been deep enough. This means that the property will be forever tainted with this.
    - Difficulty in resale. Surveyor as well as other parties have told us that indemnity insurance is worthless.
    - Home insurance impact. Insurance people do tend to try weasling their way out of paying for serious stuff and if the ceiling comes crashing down I assume they will use building regs to avoid paying.
    - Potential for council enforcement is not really covered by indemnity insurance as it is void in many cases (for example if somebody grasses you up to the council)
    - Cannot do any work to this extension (or any other exension?) because wouldn't be able to get building regs signed off.

Thoughts? Have you previously been involved in buying property without building regs/with indemnity insurance
    Thoughts? Easier on the Ritalin I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      Thoughts? Easier on the Ritalin I guess.
      The property is really good otherwise, hard to let go.

Comment

Drop your price £20k or £30k or whatever, to allow for remedial work. Leave that on the table and walk away.

ignore the EA. They just want their commission.

Comment

I think most modifications done to most houses have never been any where near BR. Much of the time, you aren't even aware the changes are made.

Is there any sign of problems with it?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Get a quote to get the extension taken down an rebuilt according to building regs and signed off. Reduce the current price of the house by amount of quote.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Drop your price £20k or £30k or whatever, to allow for remedial work. Leave that on the table and walk away.

ignore the EA. They just want their commission.
              The illegal extension is roughly 13-14sqm. What would be reasonable to ask for that? So 2 points to consider - remedial work but also the value of the house without this is less as it comprises one of the main features of the house.

Comment

If it's a nice house someone else will buy it if you make this much of a fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I think most modifications done to most houses have never been any where near BR. Much of the time, you aren't even aware the changes are made.

Is there any sign of problems with it?
                  I have listed the problems in the OP. This modification is recent and most likely it would not be possible to obtain building regs sign off retrospectively. I have no idea of problems with this as well, did they install an approriate supporting beam or did they cheap out on that too..

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
                    I have listed the problems in the OP.
                    No I mean evidence that there is anything wrong with it? Cracks, sagging, etc.

The removal of a wall sounds the main concern, that should be quite easy to check to see what is behind the plasterboard.

Comment

Working...
                    X