• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory manifesto promise - No VAT increases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually agree with a higher VAT on goods sold online, and use that to offset reduction in business rates to High Street shops - in fact I agree with higher VAT in general to offset reduction in income tax for most people, let them decide how to spend THEIR money.

25% VAT overall, and 30% for good sold online.

Simples.
    Last edited by AtW; 7 February 2021, 22:06.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I actually agree with a higher VAT on goods sold online, and use that to offset reduction in business rates to High Street shops - in fact I agree with higher VAT in general to offset reduction in income tax for most people, let them decide how to spend THEIR money.

25% VAT overall, and 30% for good sold online.

Simples.
      It's not that simple though is it?

'We' want the likes of Amazon to pay more tax but higher VAT, or sales tax or whatever won't be paid by Amazon so the problem isn't being addressed ... well, the government's need to raise more tax is being addressed but that's not the problem the thick public think is being addressed.

As for raising VAT, this tax hits the poorer in society proportionately more than the most affluent. Not good for the Tories if they now want to be seen as the party that helps the poor northerners that helped them into power.

The 'sale tax' needs to be on sales revenue and paid directly by the corporations if it is going to be seen to be a tax on the likes of Amazon. Yes, I know ultimately the consumer will pay with higher prices, but it may also take some of the profits from these corps.

Of course, the real solution is to tax the real profits and not let these corps offshore their profits to lower tax countries (I'm an accountant by training and I've seen first hand the little tricks corps follow to do this .... such an easy wheeze).

Or we could just become that low tax haven country so Big Corp starts to funnel all profits through us rather than Luxemburg
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        'We' want the likes of Amazon to pay more tax but higher VAT, or sales tax or whatever won't be paid by Amazon
        All business taxes are ALWAYS paid by the consumer, ALWAYS - just a matter how many degrees of separation there, usually not many.

Comment

Working...
        X