• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London House Prices Surpass 500,000 Pounds for the First Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A well maintained older property can be lovely. I love art deco era housing but the crittall windows can be draughty and not very warm unless you go for modern replacements. I'm also a fan of Victorian and Georgian era builds. Most modern white square boxes made with stud walls you can't hang anything on do absolutely nothing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Look around Masthouse pier (great for commuting into the city every day on boat) or 15 min walk to CW

Great walks by the river and nice and quite
      We've just put in an offer at £1600 for a 2 bed 2 bath in the Millharbour Building, it has a 650sq ft outside terrace. 5 min from South Quay DLR.
      For the first time the agent seemed to be helpful and suggested that the LL could be happy with the offer.

Fingers crossed...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        many investment companies and pension funds own lot of properties
        They will have taken a battering then. How much you lose?
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          We've just put in an offer at £1600 for a 2 bed 2 bath in the Millharbour Building, it has a 650sq ft outside terrace. 5 min from South Quay DLR.
          For the first time the agent seemed to be helpful and suggested that the LL could be happy with the offer.

Fingers crossed...
          I lived in Baltimore Wharf (just the other side of Millwall Inner Dock from you) and towards the bottom of Isle of Dogs in the flats off Dockers Tanner Road.

I did like that end of town (and I very much like Wapping too, but not lived there) but I never felt settled.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I lived in Baltimore Wharf (just the other side of Millwall Inner Dock from you) and towards the bottom of Isle of Dogs in the flats off Dockers Tanner Road.

I did like that end of town (and I very much like Wapping too, but not lived there) but I never felt settled.
            It feels ok so far, I have an airbnb in Madchute and have been wandering the streets these days, don't know. A bit soulless as well but we are young and restless. Hope to make an experience out of it.
            Above all it is reasonably cheap. The other guy cooks well so I'd be able to sail through the period without selling my soul for 45k FTC in a dinky company...

I would have avoided the Wilde Wide East but Isle of Dogs seems a bit better than the rest.
            I've PM'd you the ad, seems a steal for that price but don't know yet what the estate agent might have in it's sleeve so we'll see on monday. Fingers crossed...

Comment

Fingers crossed...
              it seems like good returns for the landlord, nearly 5%.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                it seems like good returns for the landlord, nearly 5%.
                I am not sure if my method to estimate rent is good but for anyone that has a better idea than me please feel free to share:

1) similar properties in the area, but usually estate agents tend to inflate the prices to give impression of value or put a dump at a high price to give a false impression of what is value

2) based on rental yield, I googled the values for the area, they seem to between 3.1% and 4.1%. last sold price £850k in 2015, house price inflation for prev 5y is 5.37%(zoopla estimate for area). 3.1% yearly yield is £2313pcm. 4.1% is £3060pcm. there are management feels on top(15% for london) of that service charges for flat, potentially 300-400pcm. other repairs usually are 0.5-1% per year. so there isn't much yield at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  I'm with the Chinese on this one.

I'm watching a lot of George Clarke stuff at the moment and it's shocking what people pay for period properties that are ugly and not made for modern living.

You see them say "oh we love the period features..." while they point at a cracked and filthy piece of cornice or a discoloured painted glass window.

Just a bunch of tossers wannabe posh.
                  At least period properties are unlikely to be clad in something which should never have been legal and which could potentially cost you six figures to remove.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

What kind of dog sized flat can 500 grand buy in London these days anyway?

Can a Chihuahua fit comfortably in one of them?

Asking for a friend (Churchy)

Comment

2) based on rental yield, I googled the values for the area, they seem to between 3.1% and 4.1%. last sold price £850k in 2015, house price inflation for prev 5y is 5.37%(zoopla estimate for area). 3.1% yearly yield is £2313pcm. 4.1% is £3060pcm. there are management feels on top(15% for london) of that service charges for flat, potentially 300-400pcm. other repairs usually are 0.5-1% per year. so there isn't much yield at all.
                      you are right. Yield drops down a lot depending upon service charges , which vary a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X