• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sweden's Covid Plan Is a Failure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweden's Covid Plan Is a Failure

Swedes are rapidly losing faith in their country’s response to the pandemic, with even the King delivering a rare rebuke to those in charge.

Significantly more Swedes have gotten sick and died from Covid-19 than elsewhere in the Nordic region. And with Stockholm recently almost running out of intensive care beds, frustration levels are high.

“The Swedish people have suffered enormously in difficult conditions,” King Carl XVI Gustaf told state broadcaster SVT. When it comes to the strategy deployed in Sweden, he said, “I think we have failed.”

Much of the blame has been directed toward the chief architect of Sweden’s strategy, Anders Tegnell, its state epidemiologist. A poll published on Thursday showed that support for him and his employer has slumped over the past two months.

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven also voiced his displeasure.
    “The King observes, as we and many others have, that the fact that so many people have died cannot be seen as anything else than a failure,” Lofven told reporters in Stockholm on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Tegnell has continued to defend Sweden’s overall strategy of avoiding lockdowns. He also argues that there’s no real evidence that face masks work, and Swedes are among the only people left going about their daily lives largely mask-free, with shops, restaurants and gyms all still open.

Almost 8,000 Swedes have died of Covid-19. That compares with less than 1,000 in Denmark, about 480 in Finland and just over 400 in Norway.

In his interview with TV4, Tegnell said he was “surprised” by the intensity of the second wave of the pandemic.

“I think many, with me, are surprised that it has been able to come back so strongly,” he said.
    Sweden Covid Plan Is a Failure Says the Swedish King - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Simon Dolan says otherwise so you must be lying. Who is pulling your strings?

Comment

Sweden and Japan are paying the price for COVID exceptionalism

"One of the most striking things about the COVID-19 pandemic is just how dramatically different the responses have been from country to country. In early 2020, when little was known about the virus, this difference was unsurprising. Today, with tens of thousands of research articles and cases of best practice to learn from, one would expect to see more convergence.

And yet some countries continue to resist popular strategies, such as lockdowns, and insist on going their own way – with varying degrees of success.

Two such countries are Sweden and Japan, which in 2020 have forged a different path to their neighbours on coronavirus and attributed their early successes to the assumed advantages of an inherent national character. But today, both seem to be paying the price."

The article doesn't provide comparative stats with countries that took a different approach, which is somewhat disingenuous.

Comment

Their plan seemed to be not to have a plan, so it's not much of a surprise.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Simon Dolan says otherwise so you must be lying. Who is pulling your strings?
          he even made a documentary about it: Another Way Documentary Trailer Release
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            he even made a documentary about it: Another Way Documentary Trailer Release
            He’s my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Sweden and Japan are paying the price for COVID exceptionalism

"One of the most striking things about the COVID-19 pandemic is just how dramatically different the responses have been from country to country. In early 2020, when little was known about the virus, this difference was unsurprising. Today, with tens of thousands of research articles and cases of best practice to learn from, one would expect to see more convergence.

And yet some countries continue to resist popular strategies, such as lockdowns, and insist on going their own way – with varying degrees of success.

Two such countries are Sweden and Japan, which in 2020 have forged a different path to their neighbours on coronavirus and attributed their early successes to the assumed advantages of an inherent national character. But today, both seem to be paying the price."

The article doesn't provide comparative stats with countries that took a different approach, which is somewhat disingenuous.
              So Japan's issues were due to them thinking the virus was under control in their country and telling people to travel domestically.

Sweden is always compared to it's Nordic neighbours as they have similar cultures though Sweden has more immigrants. Though apparently Norway is the country that has more immigrants from Africa, Asia and Latin America in proportion compared to Sweden.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've said it a few times but i absolutely hate the comparison to norway and finland. It's not a fair comparison. The population demographics are completely different.

Sweden has a foreign born population of 24%.

Finland has a foreign born population of 7%.

Norway has a foreign born population of 13%.

303 See Other

Immigrants from low- and middle-income countries from the Middle East and Northern Africa displayed more than three times higher mortality among men (HR: 3.13; 95% CI: 2.51, 3.90) and two times higher among women (HR: 2.09; 95% CI: 1.52, 2.89), as compared to those born in Sweden, ceteris paribus; whereas immigrants from other low- and middle-income countries experienced more than twice as high mortality among men (HR: 2.20; 95% CI: 1.81, 2.69) and ~1.5 times higher mortality among women (HR: 1.45; 95% CI: 1.12, 1.90).
                Considering that Sweden took in the highest per capita number of migrants/refugees and has had a basically open doors policy to immigration. This is in stark contrast to it's neighbors who enjoy a mostly homogenous population.

Not trying to tulip on immigration. I am an immigrant myself but the comparison to Norway and Finland is purely geographical the demographic makeup of the countries is too dissimilar to make any comparisons on success of policy.

Fair comparisons would be to western european countries who have similar demographics and actually sweden is doing very similar # wise on per capita basis to western europe.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  I've said it a few times but i absolutely hate the comparison to norway and finland. It's not a fair comparison. The population demographics are completely different.

Sweden has a foreign born population of 24%.

Finland has a foreign born population of 7%.

Norway has a foreign born population of 13%.

303 See Other

Considering that Sweden took in the highest per capita number of migrants/refugees and has had a basically open doors policy to immigration. This is in stark contrast to it's neighbors who enjoy a mostly homogenous population.

Not trying to tulip on immigration. I am an immigrant myself but the comparison to Norway and Finland is purely geographical the demographic makeup of the countries is too dissimilar to make any comparisons on success of policy.

Fair comparisons would be to western european countries who have similar demographics and actually sweden is doing very similar # wise on per capita basis to western europe.
                  Most of the foreign population of Sweden is actually from other European countries e.g. Poland, Bosnia. There as Norway and Denmark aren't.

Comment

http://BBC News - Covid-19 pandemic:...urope-55371102

Comment

Working...
                    X