• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The British Racists Have Started...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The British Racists Have Started...

on Kamala Harris. And even Norman Fowler is pissed off.

British Peer Criticized for Calling Kamala Harris ‘the Indian’ - The New York Times

LONDON — A peer in the House of Lords, Britain’s unelected second chamber of Parliament, drew heavy criticism from lawmakers on Monday for referring on Twitter to Kamala Harris, the United States vice president-elect, simply as “the Indian.”

The peer, Lord Kilclooney, a former elected member of Parliament from Northern Ireland, said on Twitter on Monday: “What happens if Biden moves on and the Indian becomes President. Who then becomes Vice President?”

Ms. Harris, the daughter of an Indian-American mother and a Jamaican-American father, is the first woman and first woman of color to be elected vice president of the United States.

Lord Kilclooney tried to defend his post by saying that he had not known Ms. Harris’s name when he wrote it, the BBC reported, but British lawmakers condemned the comment as transparently racist.

“This sort of racism would be unacceptable from anyone, but from a member of the House of Lords it beggars belief,” said Wes Streeting, a Labour lawmaker. “Action must be taken.”

Lord Fowler, who as Lord Speaker of the House of Lords presides over the chamber, demanded that Lord Kilclooney apologize.

“Lord Kilclooney should retract and apologize,” he said. “This is an offensive way to refer to anyone, let alone a woman who has just made history. The comment is entirely unacceptable and has no place in British politics. I could not be clearer.”

Lord Kilclooney, a pro-British unionist who favors Northern Ireland remaining part of the United Kingdom, faced criticism in 2018 after he called Leo Varadkar, then the Irish taoiseach, a “typical Indian” after Mr. Varadkar visited Northern Ireland. Mr. Varadkar is the son of an Indian-born doctor and an Irish nurse.

Lord Kilclooney removed that comment from Twitter but defended himself, saying “I’m certainly not racist at all.”

The House of Lords decided not to formally look into the matter, saying that it did not fall within the bounds of what it could investigate.

The process of handing out peerages in the House of Lords, as lifetime appointments to the chamber are called, is often influenced by patronage and cronyism.

The chamber is intended to serve as a check on the elected House of Commons, and it debates and amends legislation, if with less power than the lower chamber.

But in recent decades, it has become known mainly as a sinecure for wealthy donors and other well-connected types.

In answer to Lord Kilclooney’s question, the new president nominates a successor as vice president, who must then be confirmed by both houses of Congress.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    <snip>
    I loved his comment that he isn't racist as he has Indian tenants in his property .... love it when racists used that kind of argument/logic
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      on Kamala Harris. And even Norman Fowler is pissed off.

British Peer Criticized for Calling Kamala Harris ‘the Indian’ - The New York Times

LONDON — A peer in the House of Lords, Britain’s unelected second chamber of Parliament, drew heavy criticism from lawmakers on Monday for referring on Twitter to Kamala Harris, the United States vice president-elect, simply as “the Indian.”

The peer, Lord Kilclooney, a former elected member of Parliament from Northern Ireland, said on Twitter on Monday: “What happens if Biden moves on and the Indian becomes President. Who then becomes Vice President?” ...
      I believe that he doesn't think he is be racist, times have changed, he needs to.

I do not think an elected second chamber would be an improvement but some sort of reform is needed as there is a lot of dead wood in the House of Lords. (A least the name could be changed.) I know some very good people in the House of Lords who are non-partisan and highly educated and for the common person and justice, if it came to be an elected chamber they would not be voted in. The devil you know...
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

England’s House of Lords is going to be disbanded as part of EU re-joining non-negotiable conditions

Same as Mor Onic FPTP system, imperial measurements, right hand driving and CUKs New Years Eve 30 second minimum period between posts

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          England’s House of Lords is going to be disbanded as part of EU re-joining non-negotiable conditions

Same as Mor Onic FPTP system, imperial measurements, right hand driving and CUKs New Years Eve 30 second minimum period between posts
          Not English but the UK's House of Lords; hand your British passport back!
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

He has form.

Show us your Brexit plans: Varadkar responds to Kilclooney 'Indian' tweet - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Just another sad gammon.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Not English but the UK's House of Lords; hand your British passport back!
              England's at the time of re-joining EU...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Just another sad gammon.
                Smoked by this point, Shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Ah, bless...

Edit: Lord Something-Looney? Nope, me neither. How sackable is he?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Ah, bless...
                    Cheaper Lambo imports for the lucky AMD owners

Comment

Working...
                    X