• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spurious Payment - what to do next...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"She can afford to pay it back, (and it's ARRANGE BTW) she ain’t spent it. "

EWWWW hark at miss picky. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of your relatives finances. Many people cannot simply produce x hundred pounds at the drop of a hat. All I was saying is that she could easily prolong the repayment by offering x pounds per week and so earn a bit more cash in the process.

No doubt you will be able to pick a typo or two out of this also! But while you are doing it, inconvience?? do you mean inconvenience BTW?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      "She can afford to pay it back, (and it's ARRANGE BTW) she ain’t spent it. "

EWWWW hark at miss picky. No doubt you will be able to pick a typo or two out of this also! But while you are doing it, inconvience?? do you mean inconvenience BTW?
      Bloody stroppy Northerner!!!

Comment

"Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of your relatives finances. Many people cannot simply produce x hundred pounds at the drop of a hat.
        But everybody whos just been given several hundred that isn't theirs can "by definition" put their hands on several hundred to pay back.

tim

Comment

Of course, but also a case of something to do with glass houses and stone throwing ability. I'm the first to admit my spelling is pretty grim at the best of times, but if I were picking somebody up on theirs, I would ensure mine was correct first. Despite my surname, English was never my best subject.

"But everybody whos just been given several hundred that isn't theirs can "by definition" put their hands on several hundred to pay back."

This was paid 18 months ago wasn't it, into her normal account? So after that amount of time she might have considered it safe to spend it. On that basis they may not be able to put their hands on it so easily. As it turns out she hadn't spent it, but I didn't know that when I made the initial comment.
          Last edited by BoredBloke; 30 January 2007, 09:55.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Before transferring a large sum of about £30000 from one bank account to another (both in my name) I asked the clerk what would happen if accidentally mis-typed something and it went astray. He said if it did happen I could demand it back, as the recipient wouldn't be allowed to keep it. Its the same if someone finds your wallet on the street, if you pocket the money, it is a criminal offence.

So I would pay the money back.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I once had the HSBC debit my business account by £10k instead of the £1k I was paying out. Luckily I was paying it to me. The first I knew about it was when I got a stroppy phone call from them demanding that I drop into the branch and discuss the state of my business account. Luckily as it was my personal account it was paid into, I was able to refund the business. Had it gone outside the business I'd imagine that it would be a completely different ball game. When £14k was mistakenly paid to my company it was the payee who notified me. I wasn't using the company and had left money in its account to cover the dd's. Their initial tone was almost as if I was trying to pull a fast one by not notifying them of their error.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

This was paid 18 months ago wasn't it, into her normal account? So after that amount of time she might have considered it safe to spend it. On that basis they may not be able to put their hands on it so easily. As it turns out she hadn't spent it, but I didn't know that when I made the initial comment.
                Actually (and touche for spotting the reciprocal spelling mistake!) The money was paid in LAST WEEK a day before she received the letter - 18 months after she's left that employ - which is why it's still there and she can still pay it back ....

Does this make a difference wrt data protection etc.?

Comment

I'd say that you need to give them a bit of a b@ll@cking over the Data Protection Act bit - they could justify keeping bank details on file for a while afterwards, in case of possible tax rebates, etc, etc, but 18 months is pushing it a bit.

And they have up to 7 years to claim their money back, IIRC.
                  Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple

Does this make a difference wrt data protection etc.?
                    No.

The DPA is there for mallicious disclosure, not for trivial mistakes (trivial here in the sense that the mistake with the data was trivial).

And no, a company isn't expected to delete past employee data as soon as they leave. There are 100s of reason why they SHOULD keep it and are probably legally required to do so.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                      And no, a company isn't expected to delete past employee data as soon as they leave. There are 100s of reason why they SHOULD keep it and are probably legally required to do so.

tim
                      Including their bank details, 18 months after they left?

Comment

Working...
                      X