• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

World-beating Tory economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World-beating Tory economy

GDP down 20.4% in Q2.

GDP – International Comparisons: Key Economic Indicators – House of Commons Library

Some poor intern is going to have to mess with the y axis now.

Comment

Not Good:

Contracting 20.4% from April to June, the UK’s Q2 performance makes it far and away the worst hit country among its G7 peers. It’s not even close. That decline is more than double the hit taken by Germany and the US, and 6.6 percent points higher than the next nation (France, which suffered a 13.8% drop).

It is further economic evidence of the bungling nature of Boris Johnson and his government’s approach to the covid-19 pandemic, one that has cost more lives and jobs than any other nation in Europe. And that’s in a country that doesn’t have to worry about physical borders.
      However as Sunak has said:

“I’ve said before that hard times were ahead, and today’s figures confirm that hard times are here. Hundreds of thousands of people have already lost their jobs, and sadly in the coming months many more will.

“But while there are difficult choices to be made ahead, we will get through this, and I can assure people that nobody will be left without hope or opportunity.”
      There has been a rise since June, 8.7%, but sadly that has been mainly in the accommodation and food services sector:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        GDP down 20.4% in Q2.
        That was the quarter when no one was allowed to leave the house and only essential shops were open?

I mean are you trying to make a point or just alerting us to the fact that conditions under lock down are not condusive to a growing economy?

Comment

So an economy that is heavily focused on services takes the biggest hit when all services are closed for months?!
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            That was the quarter when no one was allowed to leave the house and only essential shops were open?

I mean are you trying to make a point or just alerting us to the fact that conditions under lock down are not condusive to a growing economy?
            Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            So an economy that is heavily focused on services takes the biggest hit when all services are closed for months?!
            That's the spirit, chin up!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              That's the spirit, chin up!
              What do you mean chin up?

Do you want to do a little experiment?

Open up a little shop, does not matter what you sell and then close it for 3 months and come back and tell us how much you sold in the 3 months you were closed.

Comment

Other countries had stricter lock-down than the UK be are not in recession. Financial services have defiantly not been closed during lock-down, where did you get that misinformation?

The Tories have messed the economy up big-time.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I don't think anyone would expect anything other than a sharp contraction in the economy in the last quarter. They key thing here (and it is only one quarter's data) is that the performance appears so much worse than our main competitors. Let's see what Q3 and Q4 bring before we can really start to gauge what is happening. Given the furlough scheme is ending soon, I wouldn't bank on there being too much good economic news for the rest of this year.

Then we have Brexit at the start of 2021...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Other countries had stricter lock-down than the UK be are not in recession. Financial services have defiantly not been closed during lock-down, where did you get that misinformation?

The Tories have messed the economy up big-time.
                    Here is a bigger selection of countries. Still going to need adjustment to the y axis when adding in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                    X