• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Me house is me pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me house is me pension

For the Govt...

“ British homes could be the new source of billions of pounds in much needed revenue for the Government in the form of a wealth tax, following the economic devastation of the coronavirus pandemic.”

How would a wealth tax work and what would it look like?

The Social Market Foundation, a think tank, has called for new taxes to be levied on increases in the value of homes.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      For the Govt...

“ British homes could be the new source of billions of pounds in much needed revenue for the Government in the form of a wealth tax, following the economic devastation of the coronavirus pandemic.”

How would a wealth tax work and what would it look like?

Can't see it happening as MPs are not likely to tax themselves any more than they need to. Also, a tax like this would be quite short lived if the tax stalls the price growth and hence the cost of administering the tax would be greater than the revenue returned from the tax.

Too many Brits have their wealth in their home, so can't see many voters supporting this unless the start of the tax is quite high (can't see the full story behind the pay wall so not sure on the details).

Fair to say, nothing to see here. As you were.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

CGT on real estate should be easy to administer - just take % from difference between new sale price vs previous as recorded in the Land Registry - take money at source too, like stamp duty before money even reach seller.

Fair, easy - but won’t happen.

New annual wealth “levy” on houses though...

Comment

CGT on real estate should be easy to administer - just take % from difference between new sale price vs previous as recorded in the Land Registry - take money at source too, like stamp duty before money even reach seller.

What happens if you bought a flat above a kebab shop and added a conservatory?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            What happens if you bought a flat above a kebab shop and added a conservatory?
            CGT is levied on selling, not buying (like stamp duty)

Comment

Add into it money spent on the property to bring it up to standard, so increase in value may not be just inflation. If you don't allow this then no one will ever want to bring derelict properties back to market. So no, not that simple.

Property would need to be index linked. Doing this still sees an increase, but it's not as dramatic as Gigi and his chip on their shoulder ilk think it is.

Also, what about when house market corrections take place - to keep things equitable we should then allow people to get a tax rebate off the government.

Nah, can't see it happening with private main residence properties and it's pretty much already there for 2nd + homes.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

CGT is levied on selling, not buying (like stamp duty)
                Yes, but you sold it with a conservatory. Are you going to levy capital gains on the £2.99 profit you made on your plastic conservatory?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  If you don't allow this then no one will ever want to bring derelict properties back to market. So no, not that simple.
                  This. Quite complicated, actually. In comparison, a wealth tax is fairly straightforward (and proven in many other jurisdictions) - but that won't happen either.

They aren't going to faff around with any of this nonsense when they already have an oven-baked vote loser ready to go - dramatically reduced tax relief on pensions contributions for higher earners.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Yes, but you sold it with a conservatory. Are you going to levy capital gains on the £2.99 profit you made on your plastic conservatory?
                    I’d levy much more after aggressive tax investigation into suspected tax fraud (£2.99 is clearly false valuation, affects stamp duty too).

VAT is taken on items worth 10 pence, no reason why CGT can’t be taken on £2.99, zero extra admin cost if done at transaction stage for which you paying already, overpayment (due to CGT allowance) can be claimed back via tax return

Comment

Working...
                    X