• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Junk food ad ban to beat Covid-19 and save money for the Nhs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk food ad ban to beat Covid-19 and save money for the Nhs

“ A 9pm watershed for junk food adverts is -b]likely to take two years to introduce[/b] as ministers give companies time to make food healthy enough to promote.

Calorie labels on pub beer pumps are being considered and the government has told cafés and restaurants that they will be next for compulsory nutritional labels on menus and chalk boards.”

Junk food ad ban is two years away | News | The Times

You bet they won’t give 2 years for new taxes to kick in

Comment

waste of time. Just work out how much obesity costs the NHS, then make fat people pay increased income tax to cover it. Personally I am fat, and would not have an issue with this(not embarrassingly fat, just overweight).

Comment

Waste of time.

Most people particularly everyone under 50 watches TV on-demand according to audience figures.

They need to ban junk food ads on content for YouTube and channels like 4OD but only where the content is aimed at those under 18.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't think it's adverts making people buy junk food tbh. It's probably more to do with the convenience. So if someone's eating a lot of takeaways, frozen meals, processed cr*p, it's usually either laziness because it's easy or they genuinely don't know how to cook & cba finding out.

If the adverts are taken off, it doesn't mean people will cease to know junk food exists.
          If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
            I don't think it's adverts making people buy junk food tbh. It's probably more to do with the convenience. So if someone's eating a lot of takeaways, frozen meals, processed cr*p, it's usually either laziness because it's easy or they genuinely don't know how to cook & cba finding out.

If the adverts are taken off, it doesn't mean people will cease to know junk food exists.
            Adverts work otherwise why do companies spend money on them?

With kids, particularly those who are too young to read, brands use colours to ensure brand recognition. Then they can use pester power on the adults around them.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Adverts work otherwise why do companies spend money on them?

With kids, particularly those who are too young to read, brands use colours to ensure brand recognition. Then they can use pester power on the adults around them.
              Yes I know advertising works, I'm not disputing that. But if banning adverts works, how come people still smoke?

Comment

Yes I know advertising works, I'm not disputing that. But if banning adverts works, how come people still smoke?
                Addiction, both chemical and habit.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Addiction, both chemical and habit.
                  Ok then. How come people still take up smoking?

I honestly forgot how deliberately obtuse people are on here...

Comment

Ok then. How come people still take up smoking?

I honestly forgot how deliberately obtuse people are on here...
                    Not being obtuse.. as an ex smoker whos still trying to kick the habit with vaping it's a very valid point. Kids are taking up smoking because it's cool and it's peer pressure. Nothing to do with advertising. Some would argue the efforts to ban it make it more popular with some groups... but either way, it isn't being obtuse pointing out that smoking is different.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X